Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500/Sold 2011 C300, 1999 E320, 1994 E320 Cabriolet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any thoughts on this car before the link expires? Seem like the car has been in a time warp for the past 6 years.

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/19332099.html

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
415 is the Fresno, CA area, so no winter issues or rust-- but enough moisture, unlike Ph...

415 is the Fresno, CA area, so no winter issues or rust-- but enough moisture, unlike Phoenix, that rubber and seals should be good. Wheel well view certainly would seem to verify miles and careful use (or a good cleaning job) but car would appear a decent value since it was $70+ new... that doesn't look like the Michaelin Pilot tread, but I don't recall what tire came from the factory on 97's. Depending upon how often it's been driven, you may have some minor leakage/gasket issues from valve and timing covers.
Let us know what you chose to do - -good luck !
CQRT in AZ

·
Registered
2000 SL500/Sold 2011 C300, 1999 E320, 1994 E320 Cabriolet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
I thought I would get a dialog going on this SL320. I bought a 2000 SL500 in August...

Hi
I thought I would get a dialog going on this SL320. I bought a 2000 SL500 in August of this year so I was just curious what everyone thought about this car that is up for sale in my area. (Marin County Northern California) I too believe a car should be driven and not used as an expensive ornament. If that was the case, the owner of this SL should just have it moved into his living room. Keep the comments coming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anybody have any thoughts on this car before the link expires? Seem like the car has been in a time warp for the past 6 years.

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/19332099.html
It doesn't make much sense, but you never know the owner could have bought the car and than went to jail for 6 years....[:p]

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
In 2000, I bought a 1994 SL500 with 18K miles. The car was in mint condition. I took the h...

In 2000, I bought a 1994 SL500 with 18K miles. The car was in mint condition. I took the hardtop off right after getting it and found that the convertible top was never used. Later that fall, I put the hardtop back on. During the first rain storm, the top leaked like a sieve. What appears to have happened was that the hardtop was on for so long, it compressed the seals. The seals were replaced under warranty and everything was fine.

Last year, the convertible top started going real slow when going up and down. Took it in the dealer, and after replacing alot of the hydraulic servos it turned out to be a really dirty hydraulic pump. (So dirty it needed replacing.) Again... having the hydraulic fluid sitting for years without being used, the rubber seals broke down. (I had a Starmark 3 year warranty... and it was also covered... thank god!)

I tell you all of this just to be cautious about buying a low mileage car. Having a vehicle sit for years wiht minimum use may not always be a good thing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts