Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just did the ETA swap out on the 93 300CE. You are going thru the same difficulty I did. I found a 2001 model on eBay for $400 and talked the guy down to $325 w/ free shipping. I ended up up flipping the bottom hose clamp around so I could reach it from the front with a 1/4" swivel and about 14" of 1/4" extension. They make a flexible extension in which the shaft is a tight, stiff spring that would have been perfect for this; next time I will have one.

The engine wiring harness was already replaced and the new ETA solved my non-working CC and a very low cold-idle, to the point of dying. I thought about rewiring the existing unit, but when I took it apart, I saw the servo motor, solenoid and all disintegrated wiring going to the circuit board. I'm not an electrician.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Earl.Allen, Thank you for sharing your experience. I am not electrician, either. So my safest route to have the issue resolve is to send my throttle body to a service repair outlet. You gave me an invaluable insight about the throttle body. Suppose the wiring is ok but the internal parts could be fried, broken, worn out, etc.

deanyel
I checked the throttle part number with vin number at Mercedes-Benz Parts and Accessories | MBPartsExpress.com.

My Mercedes is NON-ASR and LeftCoast Geek just verified the green bar code on the throttle body as NON ASR. So the correct throttle body part number for my Mercedes E320 wagon is 000-141-57-25. (without ASR).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
6 coils, 6 coils to plug boots, 6 spark plug wires, 6 spark plugs replacements?

While I am still waiting for the valve cover gasket replacement along with the rebuilt/remanufactured throttle body and throttle bottle cover to intake manifold (including throttle body gasket) to arrive at my home, I wonder if I should get new 6 coils, 6 coils to plug boots, 6 new spark plug wires and 6 new spark plugs? When I bought the 1994 Mercedes E320 last year, very little history of the Mercedes was given to me. Since I already removed the throttle body, reasonance valve and about to remove the valve cover, do I, might as well, replace 6 spark plugs, 6 coils, 6 coils to plug boots, 6 spark plug wires as new? That way, the engine will have proper idling, eliminating some if not all, idling issues? Any other parts need to be replace as well that I am not aware of? How do I know and/or can tell if the 6 coils, 6 coil to plug boots, the 6 spark plug wires and 6 spark plugs are good that I have on now? Just thinking out loud. In addition, I did some research on the type of spark plugs and found Bosch F8DC4 as the only kind spark plug to use, no exception. Comments, anyone?

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
there are only 3 coils on the 104.99x engines, each powers two plugs, one plug directly, and the other via a cap+wire. you don't remove the valve cover to replace them, you remove the cover plate in the middle of the valve cover. the three wires+caps are different lengths, wired like this...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
LeftCoastGeek, thank you for clarifying the coils issue. I thought I need 6 coils but you wrote 3 coils are needed. Each coil takes 2 spark plugs. Also, what about whether I need to replace 3 coils along with 6 spark plugs and 6 spark plug wires? How can I tell if the coils, spark plugs and spark plugs wires are good or bad currently on my engine? If some of them are bad, would it best to replace all?

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
i haven't experienced any coil issues yet on either of my 2 m104's... several knowlegable regulars here suggest they are 'consumables' and should be replaced periodically, I'm not sure what interval is considered appropriate. I'd be looking into them if I was having any misfiring or stumbling issues. I believe the ECM detects a number of common coil issues and will throw fault codes on the diag block saying so.

factory parts:
3 each 0001587503 ignition coils [5] in below
3 each 0001593542 cable plugs ('caps' that go directly on the coil) [8] in the drawing
3 each 0001593442 OR 0001593842 depending on engine number. (plug for wire to coil connection) [86] in teh drawing
6 each 0001591438 cable sleeve for wire ends [80]
3 custom cut lengths of 1101591818 ignition cable (490 or 550 mm for cyl 1, 240 or 350mm for cyl 3, 430 or 550mm for cyl 5, length dependent on engine number) [68]
3 each 0001567510 suppressor plugs ('caps' for plugs not directly on coil) [89]

complicated? yeah, kinda! the bracket numbers are indexes to the following drawing...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
LeftCoastGeek, Thank you so very much for your latest post. I appreciated it. Now you gave me a complete overall picture and yes, it is a little complicated. Today I got the new replacement valve cover gasket and can't get to work while I am still waiting for the other parts to come in. (throttle body or EA, Intake manifold boot goes in the EA and the throttle body gasket.) and Yes only use Bosch F8DC4 spark plug, nothing else. No exceptiions!!!

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I've never replaced coils preventatively but I do keep a spare in the trunk. Pin 8 will tell you when a coil is bad and which coil it is.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
deanyel, Thanks for your latest post. Good to know whether the coil is good or bad just by Pin 8 through the Diagnostic self test module (DM) and the code reader as well.. So at this point, I don't need to replace new coils, spark plugs, or spark wires for that matter. Just curious, how often do coils go bad?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I'd say HFM coils last 100-150k which is very good considering that they're doing double duty. Replace the plugs for sure, only a couple bucks a piece. Not a bad idea to replace the 3 wires and 3 boots - should all come in a set, probably around 60 bucks.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Karlyns are reasonably priced and I think they are good. They are an American manufacturer with a lot of German ties.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Deanyel. Thanks for the tip in your last message. Checking the website and notice several options in choosing the correct wire set. Will have to investigate/research on this.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Bosch quality is so spotty. I think Beru is better, if available, but the Karlyns use Beru connectors. Sometimes the wires say Bremi. Whatever they're doing they are high quality.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I am going to put on hold on the spark plug wires and spark plugs replacement until after I get that darn throttle body fix and return to me along with putting together all the rest of the stuff that I am working on. Today the throttle body is at the repair shop now. Probably be at least by the end of the week before I get it back. In any event, I want to thank you all for reading and posting. You guys ROCK!!!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
7 Participants
mercron
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing