Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. My 1994 E320 wagon had a high idling issue. Turns out the intake manifold had 2 broken hose nipples under the intake manifold. I was abled to removed the intake manifold and did an adapter hose hipples on both. In addition, I replaced both plastic hoses with rubber hoses. After starting the engine, I am getting low idling so low it kills the engine. Troubleshooting on the DM Self Test Diagnostic Module (16 pin) indicated a code 6 meaning Idle speed control faulty. That is the only code showing using the DM.

When I use the code reader to retrieve the codes on the individual pins, the code reader shown these results:

Pin 6, code 9, SRS malfunction indicator lamp (A1e15) or time limit for DTC readout /erasing e

Pin 8, code 8: Idle speed control (ISC) system at upper or lower control stop or CC or EA indicates "limp home" mode

Pin 8, code 13: O2S (Lambda) control system operating at rich or lean limit

Pin 14, code 2: EA/CC/ISC control module (N4/1) or Safety contact switch (M16/1s1) or Stop lamp switch or Cruise control switch or Actual value potentiometer or Starter lock-out/back-up lamp switch or engine speed signal or vehicle speed signal or closed throttle position switch or safety relay in EA/CC/ISC control module.

In addition, my cruise control does not work, either.

I am not sure where to start to resolving these issues mentioned above. Any comments/feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pin error

Sorry about the mix up on the title above. It should have been read as
Low Idling troubleshooting code Pin 6, code 9, Pin 8, codes 8 and 13, Pin 14, code 2

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wire harness is good

I checked the wire harness with the white pigtail behind the battery and it shows the date with the DELPHI 20.04.05. I assumed the wire harness is good. However, I don't see any pigtail on the throttle body harness without taking off the air cover that cross over the engine. I did noticed the green bar code like label with numbers that are not clearly seen due to age, I think. I am assuming that the throttle body is NON ASR because there is no yellow triangle on in the top middle of the instrument cluster panel. I believe the part number of the throttle body is Throttle Housing with Cruise Control Actuator
Part #: 000-141-57-25- without acceleration skid control (ASR).

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
The first thing you should do is figure out for sure if your car has ASR. Does it have an ASR warning light under the instruments? Does it have a snow tire button on the center dash? Does it have production code 471 on the production data card?

Then you can figure out if you have the right throttle body, and if it has good insulation on the wiring. If it doesn't you need to fix that, just the insulation, no need to replace the throttle body.

With that many codes the thing to do is delete them all, run the car and pull the codes again. You may have noticed that ASR and non-ASR have different code lists for pin 14.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
deanyel, in your last message, I am sure my mercedes is NON-ASR. Sometime later this week, I will remove the throttle body and check the correct part number. In addition, I will make a small cut on the insulation of the throttle body to see if the wiring is cracking, worn, fraking, etc. If it is, I will send it to repair or get a remanufactured replacement.

As for deleting codes, Yes, I did several times and same old codes came up again. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Don't spend too much money - rewiring it yourself should be about 10 bucks. A non-ASR throttle body with good wiring is a very long lived part.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the issue on the throttle body is only the insulation wires are cracked, worn, etc., then I will try to repair/replace the wires myself. However, what about the internal parts? Don't the gears and other little things inside the throttle body gets worn out, too? I am not too keen about taking the throttle body to a repair shop and have them to do the work.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now I am trying to separate the wiring harness for the throttle body by pivoting back the clip, which is already done. I tried to pull the plug from the mount but it is still stuck. Anyone has this issue? Do I twist and turn the plug to remove from the mount? Do I pull the plug straight out? Is something holding the plug from coming out?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the plug out, straight out. Man, that was a little scary because I thought I might have ruined the plug. I jerked the plug up and dow trying to loosening the plug and pull it straight out and finally came out. Stay tune for the rest of the ongoing saga of removing the throttle body.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts
Probably the inside o-ring is putting up a fight. Don't wrestle the connector or loom, you'll only risk breaking stuff.

Try putting a drop or 2 of TriFlow at the plug and let it sit for a while. It will break free.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After removing the throttle body cable mount and put aside the throttle body cable to make room to remove the 4 bolts on the throttle body, I cannot find the bottom clamp that is holding the bottom of throttle bellows. However, I notice behind the bellow near the bottom it looks like knob. Is that the thing that is holding the bottom of the thottle body bellow?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally saw the clamp facing toward the intake manifold. Using a 7 mm socket and removing the oil filter for more room to play in getting the clamp out. I then use a long extension going underneath the intake manifold in the middle near the throttle body. Once loosening the clamp holding the bottom of the bellow, the bellow would not move. So I use the plier to pull the bellow and pieces of the bellow came out. The bellow was very hard, even though the bellow was made of rubber. Ok, will order a new bellow for the throttle body.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a 5 mm hex socket due to limited space and less difficulty unscrewing those four bolts on the throttle body instead of using 5mm allen wrench without the fear of stripping those four bolts. First three bolts were good and easy to remove. However, before removing the bolts, I make sure the inside of the bolts are clear and clean to get a tight fit when putting in the 5mm hex socket. The last bolt almost stripped due to not completely clean out the dirt, oil, etc. Cannot emphasis the importance of making sure those four bolts are cleaned prior to removal. Got the throttle body out. Doing this job requires a lot of flexiblility due to limited space and to figure out how to go able removing these other items prior to removal of the throttle body. When I looked at the throttle body, the green bar code like label was completely smeared and washed away the part number. There is another bar code that has numbers on and not the part number. I am pretty sure the throttle body is NON ASR, part number 000-141-57-25. The next thing for me to do is ordering the four newer throttle body bolts, throttle body gasket and the throttle body bellows. In addition, I am looking into a remanufactured throttle body replacement but I need to make sure the correct throttle body part number.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I am pretty sure the throttle body is NON ASR, part number 000-141-57-25. The next thing for me to do is ordering the four newer throttle body bolts, throttle body gasket and the throttle body bellows. In addition, I am looking into a remanufactured throttle body replacement but I need to make sure the correct throttle body part number.
That's the correct part number for non-ASR. How many miles on your car? They are very long lived.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right now the miles on the odometer says 145,955 miles. I also checked the throttle body part number using the VIn number and says the correct throttle body part number is 000141492581 and not 000-141-57-25-81-INT. Boy, this is getting confusing!! I have the throttle body with me and tempting to cut open the wire harness to see if the wires are frayed, cracked or worn out. Where do I go about cutting the insulation cover to see the wires if they are O.K.?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just found out the correct name for this rubbber bellows on top of the throttle body that goes to the inside underneath crossover air filter is called MERCEDES BENZ ENGINE AIR INTAKE BOOT, part number 1041410990. Just sharing that information for anyone who is interested.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Right now the miles on the odometer says 145,955 miles. I also checked the throttle body part number using the VIn number and says the correct throttle body part number is 000141492581 and not 000-141-57-25-81-INT. Boy, this is getting confusing!! I have the throttle body with me and tempting to cut open the wire harness to see if the wires are frayed, cracked or worn out. Where do I go about cutting the insulation cover to see the wires if they are O.K.?
You checked the throttle body part number with the VIN number where? Your part numbers have too many digits - 81 and INT are suffixes and not part of the basic part number. 4925 is the ASR throttle body part. If indeed that is the correct part your car, your car has ASR. Back to my prior point - step number one is to find out if your car has ASR.

You can cut the insulation anywhere you please. It's all been exposed to about the same level of heat.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
About this Discussion
72 Replies
7 Participants
mercron
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing