Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 380SL.

I am having an issue with the idle being very low - ~500RPM. When I turn on the A/C it will go even lower. The car doesn't stall and seems to idle smoothly. Well, as smoothly as can be at 500 RPM or below. In general the car runs great at speed.

Is it possible to adjust the idle or is it controlled electronically? If adjustable, please explain how. I have looked around and did not see anything that looked obvious to me.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
No, there isn't a way to adjust the idle on your car.

I have the same vehicle and it idles at the same level as yours does.

Not to be a dingus, but why are you worried about the idle being too low if the car runs great and the idle is smooth?

This is the second post i've seen where someone was complaining of a low idle but didn't have any other symptoms that would indicate an issue with the idle control system.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya there. Not looking to create work for myself. The car was gifted to my daughter from her grandfather and I have been going over the car correcting issues. Noticed the factory setting for the idle is 750 RPM. So was looking to bring it up to spec. I'll be leaving it as is. :)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I hear ya there. Not looking to create work for myself. The car was gifted to my daughter from her grandfather and I have been going over the car correcting issues. Noticed the factory setting for the idle is 750 RPM. So was looking to bring it up to spec. I'll be leaving it as is. :)
Totally understand, your daughter will love the car.

Idle speed is managed via temperature. So long as everything else is working correctly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Since it is the summer, that might explain why the idle is "low".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts