Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 380SE IHAVE REPLACED ALMOST ALL THE INGNITION PARTS AND THE CAR WILL BURN THROUGH THE ROTOR BUTTON IN A VERY SHORT TIME. ANY ONE SEE THIS BEFORE?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can that be found it has no side play, but could be. Is their a test? I don't have a OBD.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 350SDL, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,012 Posts
What are you calling the "rotor button"? Do you mean the carbon brush in the center of the cap? How about a picture?

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,163 Posts
Are you using genuine Bosch parts?

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
3,974 Posts
As rumb has posted, Bosch is the way to go here... Both distributor cap & the rotor.

Not knowing the exact history & specifics is a guesstimate as far as internet responses here or anywhere.

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it is the distributor distribution rotor. I have never seen this before. I am sending pics. If you have a moment to give Me a call at 850 543 3102. I will give you every thing I have done. NEED HELP. I AM A HIGH PERFORMANCE MERCURY MACHANIC BUT CAN'T FIGURE THIS ONE OUT.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,050 Posts
The thermoplastic will take a fair anount of heat but will not melt . Only thing i can say is what make and type is the rotor arm This is a common problem with aftermarket rotor arms dont use antother rotors than Bosch or Beru . .Insulation is poor on cheapo rotor arms and they will short out to the rotor shaft . I am not to sure about this but some models had a balast resistor in line with the coil do you see one by your coil or on the bulkhead . They are ceramic oblong items may be 2 in total. Some owners did away with them when doing mods ..

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,012 Posts
I'd first check for mechanical interference. Then, confirm that the rotor is timed correctly. If the spark occurs when the rotor is not aligned with the pole on the cap you'll get a lot of heat inside the distributor and probably the low speed miss, too...

What does the inside of the cap look like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No burns poles are carbon fowled. But know burn tracks. And I know this is a motor, Heee Heeee. Could this system need a voltage resistor to drop voltage at the coil?
Are you using genuine Bosch parts?
The thermoplastic will take a fair anount of heat but will not melt . Only thing i can say is what make and type is the rotor arm This is a common problem with aftermarket rotor arms dont use antother rotors than Bosch or Beru . .Insulation is poor on cheapo rotor arms and they will short out to the rotor shaft . I am not to sure about this but some models had a balast resistor in line with the coil do you see one by your coil or on the bulkhead . They are ceramic oblong items may be 2 in total. Some owners did away with them when doing mods ..
I'd first check for mechanical interference. Then, confirm that the rotor is timed correctly. If the spark occurs when the rotor is not aligned with the pole on the cap you'll get a lot of heat inside the distributor and probably the low speed miss, too...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 1985 500sec as well, the ignition module is the flat pancake style. On the 380se it has the first rectangular style. I have replace this but does it make any difference in style of part? I am using the cheapo cap and rotor, I don't want to put the real Bosch style till I take care of the problem. I took the one off my 500 and lasted about a week.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,012 Posts
No burns poles are carbon fowled. But know burn tracks.
That makes no sense. Do you mean "no burn tracks"? Where do you think the carbon is coming from?

And I know this is a motor, Heee Heeee.
?????????????
Could this system need a voltage resistor to drop voltage at the coil?
Only if it has points.

Someone else mentioned this. (Oh, wait, I guess that was you.) Are you sure you have the right ignition module and the right coil?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
could it be the abs system creating the problem, just obtained this car and abs light was on. I cleaned the front censor but did not clean the rotor. It is hard for Me to get down to get to it>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That makes no sense. Do you mean "no burn tracks"? Where do you think the carbon is coming from?

?????????????

Only if it has points.

Someone else mentioned this. (Oh, wait, I guess that was you.) Are you sure you have the right ignition module and the right coil?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can only go by what the autoparts houses tell Me!!!!!! Mercedes shops around here don't want to deal with old cars. this is why I am here. When I was in the boat bis I would get calls from all over and I would always help them for know charge. Now I know why they were calling Me from coast to coast. The big problem I call the mb dealer down and the parts person doesn't know any thing except what is on the screen.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,050 Posts
I must say this dont try other parts on your engine even if they look the same .Only swap parts in to the electronic system number,, for number,,, not just because they look like the one you removed ,. This way you will damage the ecu and other parts because they just dont marry up to your system..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts