Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned somwhere to someone that Ford Transit ball joints fitted G tracking rods. The track rod ball joint pictured costs approx £8-00 UK what would a MB one be in the US, and is it worth me sending 5 or so over to Lee in MD
MB delivery van brake parts also fit Gs and are 1/2 the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
we should create a database for all those interchangeable parts or direct order (Bosch/GKN etc) for our Geländewagen.

The G tie rod end is €55.78

http://wwwsg.daimlerchrysler.com/Projects/wi/cda/etpl?ETNR=a0003308535&from=query&etpl_lang=01

Harald

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ford PN for this ball joint is FTR 4189 Ford Transit RHT.
I am quite confidant that other parts like brake masters clutch slave and masters will line up this way too they are after all either an ATE or FAG product.
I will let you know of any thing else I come up with.

·
Registered
'80 230G SWB, '03 G500, '80 280GE LWB (sold), '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (sold)
708 Posts
Doing a bit of research in previous posts I understand that the clutch slave cylinder is very similar to the sedan one, only requiring re-fitment of the original pin. However I'm unaware as to which sedan, is there only one type used?

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would still be a MB PN and at an MB price, I think the same cylinder iis sold as a Ford part at much lower price.
I am checking these out.

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
4x4rancher - 4/10/2005 1:17 AM

That would still be a MB PN and at an MB price, I think the same cylinder iis sold as a Ford part at much lower price.
I am checking these out.
Rancher,

First, thanks for your efforts! We over here really suffer when it comes to parts prices, especially for the 460s. Its partly because so few places sell the parts.

Parts for the older MB cars are much more reasonable. For instance, if the clutch slave cylinder for a 240D will work, it can be purchased from numerous after-market sources here in the US for $60 or so while the one specifically listed for the G is $160 from the common supplier here in the States.

So, in addition to MB parts being more than some other brands (like Ford), just the fact that its for a pre-MBUSA G (pre-2002) makes for problems over here.

Bruce

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I think you'd find ANY kind of damage or wear item would be greatly apreciated here.

Any sort of brake part (hydraulics, shoes, pads, drums, rotors, spring/hardware kits, etc), clutch parts, diff lock cylinders and seals, rod ends, universal joints, all are good candidates.

Some of the big "hard parts" are needed in smaller quantities, like transfer case, transmsision, drive shafts, steering box, etc.

We here are so used to having a single source for parts, and having to do everything through MB part numbers due to the fact nobody knows what the heck the vehicle IS, that all you'd have to do is create a "one stop shop" for parts like this, charge maybe 30% less than MB prices, and people would be thrilled.

Or, if you don't have an interest in pushing little parts across the pond, then help to cultivate availability through local sources, like direct through Sachs, etc reps here in the states, by just providing part numbers and letting folks find them as tehy can on their own. But I have to say, there would be some money to be made in the former endeavor.

The REAL untapped market here though, will be for 463 parts. Lots of these G500s are going to be available cheap after the real estate agents and soccer mooms see the "new G" (keep up your letter writing campaign, but I worked in the auto industry too long to hold my breath), and at that point, folks will want to maintain those themselves rather than deal with a reluctant dealer network.

Just my thoughts,

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1992 300 GDL
268 Posts
Bill
Is that brake master cylinder for the 463 also?. I was quoted over 200 quid for a MB one. I need one if you can find a source

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pattern I was looking at was for a 460, but the 463 master I always fit to 460s anyway it improves braking, but I will check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harald
More for your data base.

Gear selector rods rubber bushing 460. same as MB delivery vans.

PNs
Small bush. MA000 992 10 10
Large Bush. MA210 992 00 10

UK Cost £4-17 + tax 17.5%

·
Registered
300GD, 190E
50 Posts
Gentlemen,

For what year and model Ford Transit tie-rod ends should I be looking if I aim to put them on my 1987 300GD (460)?

I see lots of these guys for sale on ebay, but there seems to be a wide assortment, depending on what model year one's looking for. I see the part number mentioned earlier.

Bezeichnung / Baujahr / kW / PS / ccm

Thanks!

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
Great News regarding the Clutch slave cylinders , i have been managing it by changing the rubbers and spring but it keeps on failing .

I have noticed also that the arm bushing of a Pajero or what is known in USA Montero they match too and the prices are as follows :
Arm Bushing Pajero/ MOntero : 8$ each
Arm Bushing GE280 : 45 $

This data base will help us survive our Gs especially the 460 series whom spare parts are almost unavailable in the ME region and from the posts i am seeing it seems to be a common problem in many parts of the world .

So fellows who has information and has tried them and succeeded please do not hesitate to share us the info .

ReG ,

Shebl

·
Registered
280 GE / 1980
458 Posts
4x4rancher - 4/11/2005 5:31 PM

I just priced the FAG Master cylinder for Ford/G. £15-00 UK which at the moment is $30-00
Do both the Upper and Lower cylinders fit ?

ReG ,

Shebl

·
Registered
'94 G350TDL
304 Posts
Just found yesterday that there are a few different linkages that come out on EPC with the same VIN. And ball joints are also different. I ordered wrong one so must change it today. I also found the price of assembled part (ball joints and linkage) is not all that different from buying two joints separately. It seems you need to find the linkage part number first to get the correct joints. But I could not find it for the linkage was rusty. So maybe it is better to order assembled part if you are not certain about the which linkage your G has.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts