Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I have a 98 clk 320 and my right low beam light doesn't work. However, whenever I switch on the high beams both low beams turn on (But the screen still states light failure. I just changed the bulb, but still have the problem. Any ideas, Thanks.

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
blown fuse at the switch. Pull the cover on the side of the dash by the switch to check. If not there then you will need to start tracing wires

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No luck. I checked the fuse, but it was fine. I even switched the fuses with another one to make sure, but still no luck. For your other suggestion, would tracing the wires be something anyone could do?

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
Yes!! Youll need a voltage with probes that can penetrate the outer coating of the wire. Turn on your low beams and work your way back from the headlight. Pay special attention to areas when the wires could become pinched. Take a reading at the socket first to eliminate a possible bad connection. If you have Xenons I would suspect the ballast first

·
Registered
1999 CLK 320
160 Posts
i got your answer! only if your talking about the smaller inner circle part of the headlight. there are 2 bulbs one bulb on the top is you highbeam only bulb. then all the way at the bottom theres a very tiny bulb about the size of a christmas tree light. its hidden but if your lenses are clear look close and youll see it thats the bulb that needs to be replaced and that is your driving lamp bulb and they only have them at the dealership for about 2.00 let me know if this is what you problem is

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, I can't believe there was another small bulb hiding there the whole time. I can't really see inside the bulb, but most likely that is the problem. I guess I'll stop by a benze dealer today and pick one up. Great catch enyce284. Is changing that small bulb easy or are there tricks to it?

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
Hey Guys. I have a 98 clk 320 and my right low beam light doesn't work. However, whenever I switch on the high beams both low beams turn on (But the screen still states light failure. I just changed the bulb, but still have the problem. Any ideas, Thanks.
Sorry bout that.. you said the bulbs were working not burned out. You dont need to go to the dealership for bulbs.

·
Registered
1999 CLK 320
160 Posts
no problem the same thing happened to me man. i didnt realize there was two in there either. its very simple just twist and turn like any other bulb and it will come right out. you need to get the bulb from the dealer because no auto part stores carry that small of a bulb, at least by me they dont i ran all over looking for it until i gave up and went to the dealer and got it for the same price and auto parts store would sell them for. anyways let me know how you make out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts