Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
w124.028 1993 300e
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched a few forums and haven't found a problem that I am having. I have a 1993 300e 2.8/AT 160k. Last week I started the car and turned the headlights on and one of the low beams was out. I didn't think much of it other than probably a burned out bulb. I went to the auto parts store and bought a new bulb and went to put it in. I looked at the filaments and both seemed to be in tact, but put the new one in anyway. I turned on the lights and it still didn't light up. Not having the time to deal with it, I limited driving at night. Now the other low beam is doing the same thing. I also tried to put the fog lights on and they don't come on either. I checked and replaced the fuses for all lights as well as the light out indicator. I also checked the headlight connection for corrosion. While I was in there I checked power with the multimeter and there was only power to the headlights with the high beams on.

I now went into the car and turned on the lights, still no low beams. Both high beams work fine. I turned the switch on and pulled out to activate the fog lights and still nothing. I then pulled back on the combination switch and the driver high came on as well as both fog lights.

I will also add that I replaced the combination switch in March with a new one from the dealer because of problems with the wipers.

I'm thinking that it could be the actual headlight switch or some how my new combination switch has already gone bad.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
91 500SL 37k,90 300SE sold, 91 300E sold , 92 300E137k ,02 Kia Sedona ,I know..... its a Mini van.
8,143 Posts
Check connections at lights and wiring,head light relay, switch can also give problems,It should feel solid when you turn it,no slop. not sure if illumination module has any thing to do with head lights?

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
Check the head light wiring harnesses. My drivers side light gets dim from time to time and the fog light will stop working. If I "massage" the harness it will come back on. One of these days I'm going to cut it open and fix it, likely cracked insulation shorting out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
W210,E240,2001
12 Posts
There is another thing you can try, ie, the rotary main light switch. Its internal plastic parts cracked very serously when I replace it last year. My model is E220, 1995.

·
Registered
w124.028 1993 300e
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try massaging the wires to see if there is any change. I will also try to get a used headlight switch to test. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know if I make any progress.

·
Registered
'89 W124 300CE signal red, AMG body kit, 17" aero 1's, bilstein and AMG springs.
49 Posts
I highly suggest checking your earth cables.
Check this video on YouTube from MercedesSource, he had a similar issue.

·
Registered
w124.028 1993 300e
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for linking the video Recaro. It seems to make a lot of sense to check the grounds (which I haven't done). I've checked the connections, but I'll check the grounds this weekend. Hopefully I'll find a loose connection or frayed wire that will solve my problems as this guy did in the video.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts