Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sedan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I burned out a headlamp on the driver side of my 2007 E350. I successfully replaced it (my hands are banged up, of course). I had a very hard time removing the connector from the lens assembly, but I ultimately got it to turn.

Decided to replace the passenger side bulb as well. Access is a lot better, but I could not get the connector out. It is just not moving. Is there a trick to it, or does anyone have a tip as to lubricating the assembly? If I could just get it moving at all, I could turn it, I think.

So, that is my dumb question of the day. Nice car-I just wish that access to things like this wasn't so hard and didn't require small hands.

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Driver Side:
Next time pop up the coolant bottle and move it to the side, it makes the job much easier and you don't have to disconnect any hoses.
Pass Side:
Are you sure you're turning the socket in the correct direction?

·
Registered
2007 E350 Sedan
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blessedly on the driver side, I knew to move the coolant recovery tank.

Yes, as to turning it in the right direction, as per the directions in the manual. I had the same "stickiness" issue on the driver side, and then suddenly it came loose.

·
Registered
2012 E350
142 Posts
Turning it...

My passenger side low beam went out. I assume its going to be lefty loosey, righty tighty???

Correct? I took off the black cap off the rear of the lamp housing. That was easy, but you guys are correct, these are on there good. Since its getting late, I went and bought the H7 replacement bulb and will try this in the AM.

Am I correct, just muscle it off??? I hope my arms will actually fit in there to turn this.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
23,346 Posts
There are are spring clips on each side at the base. You just squeeze them together and move them out the way on their hinged point.
The bulb will just pull out. No twisting needed. Do not touch the glass of the new bulb with
your fingers. It will create a hot spot and blow the bulb very prematurely. There is a notch
cutout at the base of the bulb that lines up with the housing so it is impossible to put
the bulb in the wrong way.

·
Registered
2012 E350
142 Posts
One more thing...

OK, but the manual says to turn counter-clockwise and pull. Is this wrong?

Also, I am sort of embarrassed asking this, but in the car manual (came with car) is says it could either be a Bi-Xenon or a halogen. It says to not mess with the Bi-Xenon. First off, how do I know which I have and secondly why can't I mess with it?
Looking at this, from the front of the car, I am going to guess I have a Xenon lamp. It looks more like a light bulb than a typical halogen bulb you find hanging on the shelf at Autozone. So, with that being said, is there a small bulb that will come out of the rear of this housing (as described above)?

Can I pick up a replacement at Autozone or is this going to a dealer buy. Thanks guys!

.:bowdown:

Again, 2009 E350 Sport

·
Registered
E350 4M 06
2,744 Posts
Xenon lights are very bright white/bluish and last a very long time, they have ballasts, self leveling etc...
A quick way to tell is to turn the fog lights on and compare the color, if the fog lights look yellow in comparison then you have xenons, if they look similar then you have halogens.
My 06 requires rotation to pull the bulb out, I'm not familiar with the 09.
One thing you mentioned is of concern. You can't see the low beam bulb from the front of the car, there is a projector lens covering it, I'm not sure what you're looking at? Please snap a picture and point to the problem bulb, it could very well be your high beam bulb.

·
Registered
2012 E350
142 Posts
Picture of the lights on my car

Roadking,

Here are two pictures showing my head light set up. You can see which light is out and why I am a little confused. This sort of looks like my Xenon set up that I have on my Acura TL, but those are over 8 years old and still going. I can't believe this could have gone out already (only after 2 years). I guess anything is possible.

Is this correct, its a Xenon bulb? If so, how do I pull this out to replace it? Is it still the same way you mentioned above?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 E350
142 Posts
Issue resolved

Well, I went with info you guys gave me and gave it a shot. Since the lights had a yellow color, that made me feel more comfortable to go for it. I crammed my arm into the tight space and turned the body of the lamp counter-clockwise and finally it budged. I pulled the lamp out and reinstalled a H7 bulb in its place. Back in business.. I will say, if your arm is bigger than a teenagers (small to medium) its going to be tough to squeeze in there and turn these bulbs. Just hang in there and be prepared to bruise up your arm a bit.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I went with info you guys gave me and gave it a shot. Since the lights had a yellow color, that made me feel more comfortable to go for it. I crammed my arm into the tight space and turned the body of the lamp counter-clockwise and finally it budged. I pulled the lamp out and reinstalled a H7 bulb in its place. Back in business.. I will say, if your arm is bigger than a teenagers (small to medium) its going to be tough to squeeze in there and turn these bulbs. Just hang in there and be prepared to bruise up your arm a bit.

:thumbsup:
Yes those are halogen bulbs, though they do have the projector style lens (round thing you've circled) same as with your Acura's hids. It's really a shame cars of this caliber and cost don't include factory hid bulbs in all models. I swapped the bulbs in my wife's with a 55w hid kit, they are 200% better. I would never swap hids into non-projector housings, though. It was tough on the hands!

·
Registered
81 Posts
what color did you install? 6000 k? Can you post pictures? I'm thinking of replacing my 35W HID's with 55 watters, I don't want them to look "punk blue" Thanks
They were either 4300 or 4500. The wattage shouldn't affect the color, just brightness I believe. The 55w aren't that much different than most of the 35w kits I've had. I just decided to try it with this kit, but I wouldn't buy new ones just for that difference. Here are some quick pictures I just got with the iphone in the back drive, they don't really do the lights justice. They most definitely are NOT punk/rice blue but rather very close to factory white. I despise that blue or even worse pink look.

·
Registered
2012 E350
142 Posts
Nice...

Was the upgrade difficult to do?

By the way, now my wife calls me to tell me her side marker light went out. Geez, when does this stop? lol I have yet to replace one bulb on my TL. lol

Is the side marker hard to replace as well?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Was the upgrade difficult to do?

By the way, now my wife calls me to tell me her side marker light went out. Geez, when does this stop? lol I have yet to replace one bulb on my TL. lol

Is the side marker hard to replace as well?
Not much more difficult than changing a bulb. There was no splicing, all plug and play. It probably took me 2-3 hours total and I'm not very familiar with the car yet. I read several DIYs but it really all made much more sense once I had it in front of me. Toughest part is probably that you have to dremmel/cut the bulb base to fit with the Mercedes retaining clip. DIYs mentioned this, but again it was obvious once I had it in front of me.

Sorry, don't know on the side marker.

Edit: FYI I ordered the kit from DDM Tuning for around $60-70. Their service is crap but they're cheap.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1992 300TE, 1999 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
368 Posts
I replaced my bulbs three weeks ago and what a difficult time it was. I am a professor of mechanical engineering and it just really upsets me when engineers design things this difficult to fix. Why is it so tight and why did they put all of those sharp edges around a head light? The drivers side was much easier; however, I'm not sure the bulb went in without touching something and shortening the bulb life.

I have a Porsche 911 and the whole headlight assembly comes out with a 90 degree turn of a single fastener. On the E320, the whole front bumper has to come off. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if things didn't break all of the time but they do.

·
Registered
2012 E350
142 Posts
I think most of us would agree with you. I only did the passenger side marker, and still have marks on my arms from reaching in that tight space. Obviously, someone did not envision future maintenance work. Very few manufacturers think beyond the dollar signs.

With regard to the HID upgrade. If you go to Mercedesmanuals.com, they have a DIY upgrade for around $350. This is supposed to be 100% plug-n-play with ballast, and adapter to keep software from detecting difference in bulb current draw. Anyone try these out yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i recently replaced the low beam driver side bulb on my 2004 e320 and the two leads to the bulb socket were grossly deteriorated (cracking and splitting with a good deal of the wires exposed). everything else in the area was clean as a whistle and no other wires in the area are corroded. any possible explanation? is there a replacement wiring section available or is the socket and wiring replacement required?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Im sure there is a replacement harness, but it may be easier to splice in and just repair the wire itself. Maybe post a picture so that we can better direct you.
I've been searching for a while for a good online parts diagram site for MB. One with the real or equivalent OE software. For BMW there is RealOEM.com which is fantastic. An MB equivalent would answer this question in a second. Check availability and cost and move forward accordingly. Links anyone?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.