Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The low beam bulb on our 500 went out, not a major issue. The issue is me, some may of noticed from my posts I put a bit of thought in part purchases.

But if there is any part I hate more shopping for it is headlight bulbs. I can’t stand it, I walk in the parts store and walk out with money still in my wallet.

Ok to the internet thought we figured it out since my wife drives it the most. I showed her the Sylvania on line comparison chart. “Let it be her choice” I say. She chooses “Sylvania Silver Star Ultra”

Ok off to reviews where I learn these bulbs have a life of about 180 hours. In Boise on the winter solstice sunise 8:14 AM sunset 5:10 PM. By the end of winter they be burnt out. This life is confirmed by numerous reviews.

So she would like a bulb set that is a bit whiter, not blue. More down road view. Yes the B52s’ Private Idaho got it right:

“Watch out for signs that say "hidden driveways" “!

I have read posts where members suggest using Osram bulbs OEM to Benz. But they are sister company to Sylvania. Not opposed to LED conversion, or HID but at auto zone they told me most customers what to convert out of HID.

Just do not want to spend close to 60 on bulbs that will burnout in months. Heat seems to be a concern and reason to keep watts at 55.

For the short term i may go to the Pick apart where I can pull all the fuses and bulbs I want for my 1 $ entrance fee. I stripped all the fuses from an ml engine fuse box on last trip.

So thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,567 Posts
The low beam bulb on our 500 went out, not a major issue. The issue is me, some may of noticed from my posts I put a bit of thought in part purchases.

But if there is any part I hate more shopping for it is headlight bulbs. I can’t stand it, I walk in the parts store and walk out with money still in my wallet.

Ok to the internet thought we figured it out since my wife drives it the most. I showed her the Sylvania on line comparison chart. “Let it be her choice” I say. She chooses “Sylvania Silver Star Ultra”

Ok off to reviews where I learn these bulbs have a life of about 180 hours. In Boise on the winter solstice sunise 8:14 AM sunset 5:10 PM. By the end of winter they be burnt out. This life is confirmed by numerous reviews.

So she would like a bulb set that is a bit whiter, not blue. More down road view. Yes the B52s’ Private Idaho got it right:

“Watch out for signs that say "hidden driveways" “!

I have read posts where members suggest using Osram bulbs OEM to Benz. But they are sister company to Sylvania. Not opposed to LED conversion, or HID but at auto zone they told me most customers what to convert out of HID.

Just do not want to spend close to 60 on bulbs that will burnout in months. Heat seems to be a concern and reason to keep watts at 55.

For the short term i may go to the Pick apart where I can pull all the fuses and bulbs I want for my 1 $ entrance fee. I stripped all the fuses from an ml engine fuse box on last trip.

So thoughts?
You can buy some HID kits online pretty reasonably. You would have projectors in your 500 I imagine.
I had 4300k 35w in mine and they lasted for years.

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,567 Posts

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
1,661 Posts
Wallyo,

That amazon buy looks pretty good.
You can always return them if they dont work out for you.

I haven't swapped out the ones on my daughters ML430, they've been good to her so no need to fix what's not broken. Got oem xenon on the ML500 that do just fine. Dont drive out alot in the dark hours, but they do the job when needed.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wallyo,

That amazon buy looks pretty good.
You can always return them if they dont work out for you.
My daughter did some research into the amazon Aukee as to H7 fitment. Some reviews said they worked just fine, others talked of grinding the plastic head light mount to make them fit.

Looking at the photo it seems the neck between the mounting flange and fins is very short.

Also looking at these they are more wattage 80 total 40 per bulb. don't know if we need that much light but when she searched h7 fitment on them less complaints. They appear to had more space between flange and fins.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
LED’s may not be feasible, forgot about the plastic caps on the lamp assembly. Watched a conversion video he got them in an ml but what about the fan and air movement is my other question.

·
Registered
2003 ml500
14 Posts
I tried LED bulbs in my wife's Focus with reflector type enclosed headlights. The light output was bright white except at the horizon/furthest point where the light turned yellow. And the LEDs overheated 2 hours into a 4 hour journey. The high beams would flicker on and off on their own until I took off the headlight access covers and left them off for the rest of the drive.
The most common headlight housings that have exposed headlight bulb connectors are Japanese cars. I think they are only cars LEDs could work reliably in.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can buy some HID kits online pretty reasonably. You would have projectors in your 500 I imagine.
I had 4300k 35w in mine and they lasted for years.
Right now leaning a bit more towards HID then LED at the moment. From what I researched LEDs seem to work a bit better in reflector lens. While HID's are better in projectors. If using LEDS you want multi sided light emission not jus 2 sided, so it is not that they will not work it is which will work the best?

Back to the HID's I want to be legal and not have people flashing me thinking my hi beams are on. Had a online chat last night where the rep was suggesting 55 watt HID and all their lights are street legal. I did read that HIDs are only legal If you convert over to the option sold by the manufacture or if you have projector lens then you can use HIDs or Halogens interchangeably (but do not go over the car manufactures wattage).

So given the above I am thinking a 35watt 6000K system.

Does any one know if the projectors are different between the benz HID option and the Standard Halogens (aside from the Bulb mount itself)?

Will I need a canceller?

or

Do I just have to change it with Star from HAL to Xenon?

CANBUS?

If you think of anything else please let me know, even if it's stick with the Halogens. I wish my Pick apart had a car in with Oem HIDs but out of the 12 I have seen, not one has had them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts