Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300se
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving home from the gym last night, and I noticed that when I pushed the stalk forward, it switches from low beams to brights; when I pulled it back, both turned on at the same time. Is there any way to get the headlights to do this when I push the stalk forward? I find the brights on the US market cars to be very lackluster otherwise, but I get really good coverage when the low beams are also on.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
You could upgrade the bulbs in your current headlights to be brighter.

You could swap out the headlamp assemblies themselves to a more modern 'Euro-style' reproduction headlamp..

You could get some Euro headlamps for your car...

You might change your avatar signature to reflect the year & model of your car so others can easily reference..

MBL

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300se
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could upgrade the bulbs in your current headlights to be brighter.

You could swap out the headlamp assemblies themselves to a more modern 'Euro-style' reproduction headlamp..

You could get some Euro headlamps for your car...

You might change your avatar signature to reflect the year & model of your car so others can easily reference..

MBL
I have a 1990 300se, so I’ll upgrade my signature to match

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300se
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to do that. I hear it’s a night and day difference, and they do look way better. I just figured there was a cheaper solution that would give me similar performance

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300se
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can do that with a relay. See danielsternlighting.com for lots of info. You'll be using a relay to tell the lows to come on when the highs activate.
Thank you! Should I be concerned about the lamps heating up, since the two filaments are in the same housing?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,085 Posts
Thank you! Should I be concerned about the lamps heating up, since the two filaments are in the same housing?
I don't know, that's a good question. Since it's not an expensive mod, you might install the relay then just do some informal testing by just holding your hand on the lens before and after. Or use a temperature gun.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
Thanks for doing the yr & model addition.

I might consider current draw as well... with the four halogen bulbs,,

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts