Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 C350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first snow here in Virginia gave me the opportunity to see how well a rear wheel drive sports sedan would handle it. Being from Northern Wisconsin I grew up driving on ice and snow so have a great deal of experience with this type of driving.

I have to say I am truly impressed by the ESP system on board these MBs. Being my first Benz I was not sure what to expect. I repeatedly attempted to put the car into a skid (controlled area of course) and could not. Pretty awesome. Of course wife retorted "Its a Mercedes, what did you expect?"

Great job Mercedes!!

Later had to turn if off the ESP and enjoy some snow drifting reminding me of my younger days of power sliding in my 1975 Pontiac Trans Am with posi-trac.

Good times!

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes C300 | 2005 Yamaha R6
30 Posts
I would have to disagree, i went from a Pontiac (FWD) to a C300 4-Matic, and i actually think the C300 handles TERRIBLE in the snow/ice. I currently have all season tires on, which might change if this is what i get to look forward to every winter!

Do i need to enable the AWD, or something?

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
I would have to disagree, i went from a Pontiac (FWD) to a C300 4-Matic, and i actually think the C300 handles TERRIBLE in the snow/ice. I currently have all season tires on, which might change if this is what i get to look forward to every winter!

Do i need to enable the AWD, or something?
There is nothing wrong with your car...you have poor tires. I would never consider running all season tires through a winter, front, rear, or all wheel drive. I tried it briefly and learned my lesson quickly. All season tires actually perform quite poorly in freezing temps or snow, and if they are the original equipment, they are among the worst performers, as car companies specify even harder rubber compound to reduce rolling resistance and improve fuel economy.

Your Pontiac did have an advantage of having most of the vehicle weight over the driving wheels, but you will be very happily surprised at how different your car will perform with dedicated winter tires....I recommend Blizzak WS70. I have the predecessor WS60 on my rwd C300, and it handles the Michigan winters very well! Easiest way to get them is to find a tire/wheel set on tirerack.com, and have them shipped to one of their local installers in your zip code...then its just 20 lug nuts away from winter traction! :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts