Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any guides to removing the rear louvered windows? I tried working my way at them from the inside and the outside and can't really get a handle the situation. If interior pieces need to be removed, I'll need some help with that too.

Mechanical things make sense to me. Body and trim stuff is voodoo...

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having the impression that this might involve taking off the rear side panel, I got the rear seat and seat back taken out. Can't figure out how to get the side panel off yet though.

I might have to take the "hat rack" thing off first and then the panel on the rear pillar? Am I close? =P

·
Registered
1978 280SLC, 5 speed, no electrics, no AC, pure 107.
53 Posts
Here's a clue: When I took mine out, it required the removal of the rear vision mirror first of all (the main one over the windshield..) It is a bitch of a job and you feel like you are taking the whole interior apart. As you work your way toward the back of the car, more and more fixings become apparent.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0 #677 & 1980 500 SLC #2053
420 Posts
Having the impression that this might involve taking off the rear side panel, I got the rear seat and seat back taken out. Can't figure out how to get the side panel off yet though.

I might have to take the "hat rack" thing off first and then the panel on the rear pillar? Am I close? =P
Pull the rear seat, both the bench and the back, the side panels, the center trim at the top off the rear window and finally the panel that covers the 'C' pillar and extends to the top of the 'A' pillar (you'll need to remove the hand holds and sun visor). Then, lower the rear passenger window. You will now have access to the screws that hold the louver in place.

There's a clip at the top which almost always winds up breaking during removal. Try not to disturb the trim on the outside. Getting it to line up again is a pain. You'll need a helper to make things easier when it comes time to re-assemble as they can hold the trim in place while you re-install the louver.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the rear seat, both the bench and the back, the side panels, the center trim at the top off the rear window and finally the panel that covers the 'C' pillar and extends to the top of the 'A' pillar (you'll need to remove the hand holds and sun visor). Then, lower the rear passenger window. You will now have access to the screws that hold the louver in place.

There's a clip at the top which almost always winds up breaking during removal. Try not to disturb the trim on the outside. Getting it to line up again is a pain. You'll need a helper to make things easier when it comes time to re-assemble as they can hold the trim in place while you re-install the louver.
Thanks.

How do I get the side panel off? I tried pulling it from several angles but it seems like it's attached near the base of the window... For that matter, how do I get the handles off...?

·
Registered
1979 450 SLC 5.0 #677 & 1980 500 SLC #2053
420 Posts
Thanks.

How do I get the side panel off? I tried pulling it from several angles but it seems like it's attached near the base of the window... For that matter, how do I get the handles off...?
Pry the soft plastic material out from under the chrome trim at the edges of the handles. Underneath will be some screws.

You will also need to unbolt the seat belt if you want to remove the side panel out of your way entirely. Make sure you have the panel underneath the rear passenger window removed too.

Umm.... this is covered in the manual you know....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, got the side panel off... Now I gotta figure out the top end stuff....

Meanwhile, on a separate note, the seats are killing me. The middle bolts are almost impossible to get to and besides that are slotted screw heads torqued to a billion ft-lbs. I broke my craftsman screwdriver on one and then called it a night....

·
Registered
1989 560SL 2014 A6 2012 Tahoe
343 Posts
I have a Manual. He's pretty good at getting the cars to shine. :p

Don't think my Manual could help you with your destruction...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts