Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've put out a few posts about strange noises coming from the drivetrain. After a couple weeks of driving and careful listening, I'm pretty sure it's the continental tires. Around town they sound more like off road tires. Does anyone else notice this? I'm getting ready to change to PS2's and was wondering if anyone else who changed tires experienced less tire noise. I'm also considering some Renntech mods. Has anyone done just the pulley and ecu? Notice a big difference? Any other mods make more sense? I would rather not mess around with headers.

·
Registered
E55K
19 Posts
PS2's

Had the same pproblem with Continentals getting saw tooth wear of sholder tread blocks. Cannot reverse rotation since directional tread / tire. Love new PS2's - asymetrical tread can swap sides to reverse rotation - even with stagger size. Reasonable tread wear - better than PS1 w/o the noise. Swapped sides at 6,000 mi. - need to swap again now at 12,000 mi - dead quiet and NICE. Maybe give up a little grip to PS1 (NOT to Conti's) but problems not worth the differece.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Continentals SUCK. Had a set on my Cayenne and they wore out in 20,000 miles evenly front and back. No alignment problems, just crap tire.

·
Registered
79 Posts
05E500 said:
Continentals SUCK. Had a set on my Cayenne and they wore out in 20,000 miles evenly front and back. No alignment problems, just crap tire.
My Micehelin PS Sports, which I loved, wore out w/i 20,000 miles on my CLK55.

I thin 20K miles is acceptable and decent for these tires, not a reason to think they suck.

The way they drive/handle or get flat spots, is another issue.

·
Registered
2006 E-Class with the "55" Option
46 Posts
I have no complaints with mine to date (I believe we both got our around the same time in early May) and the car just turned 2,000 miles. Does yours seem like it is getting faster? My appears to be as it gets broke-in. On the pulley/ecu upgrade I have seen posts by others that say it does make a noticable difference. Keep this in mind (I have thought about the pulley/ecu too) is that fast cars are somewhat of a 'speed crack-pipe.' Simply put, you can never get enough and sadly enough after you get used to stuff it just does not seem as fast anymore - hence the 'crack-pipe' reference.

Let me know how it goes - the K40 come in handy?

TK

·
Registered
79 Posts
05E500 said:
I'll be very happpy with 20,000 miles (even though I just had to replace a tire today because of a nail). The dealer told me to expect 12,000 miles. My previous PS2s got 18,000 miles.

·
Registered
2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
714 Posts
I have never had any German car I owned and that has been quite a few, with OEM or replacement Conti's wear out. This is because every one of them suffered a tread seperation or uneven wear pattern from factory defects and was replaced long before normal tread wear became an issue. All of the Conti's were eventually replaced by Mischelins and that was the end of the tire wear/noise problems.

I have a VW T4 van and it went through two sets of tires in only 15k miles one tire at a time due to defects before I found that VW had switched OEM suppliers and Conti's were no longer the only source of tires that fit. The replacement Mischelins have been there for over 30k miles and still look and ride like new with better than 50% of the tread remaining.

That said, there is no way that high speed rated tires can last as long as S or H rated tires because of their softer rubber compounds and 20k on W or ZR rated tires is excellent compaired to how long tires like that lasted 15 years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts