Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always noticed a loud ticking at times with my diesel. i sort of blamed it on the rack damper bolt, but after i installed the new one today, its still ticking. it sounds just like a gas engine that has a very bad lifter ticking.
heres the deal though, increase rpms just to 1100 and the ticking stops. another scenario... put in gear, ticking stops. park or neutral, ticking returns. its all related to rpm and gear selection. got any ideas????

·
Registered
85 300D
285 Posts
its probably nailing, you need to have your injectors cleaned or rebuilt with new nozzles

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Valves need adjusting?

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
I say nailing too. I changed my injectors and it went away.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can some of you guys explain to me in a mechanical sense what is happening when an injector is nailing? what is worn out? the car only has 140k, i wouldnt think the injectors would be worn out. but they are 29 years old...

·
Registered
"Sadie"1984 w123 White/blue 169K and counting. The Grey POS or parts car 83 grey/ palimino
150 Posts
Do you have a shake as if a cyl isn't firing? Same sound in mine, with the added symptom. I figured rack damper too and that wasn't it.:confused:
I also do reguler valve adjustments (yearly). I guess I'm at the new/rebuilt injector. I'd just hate to find it to be a simple adj elsewhere, you know?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Give it an Italian tuneup. It worked for my ticking 300D

·
Registered
1983 300D Euro Model
146 Posts
When cold mine rattles and shakes really bad. Once it's warmed up it's smooth and nice. Could mine also be injectors?

What is an Italian tuneup?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like yours might, might, need glow plugs. italian TU is simply driving the hell out of your car and blow all the "dooky" out of it.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
^^Yes, could be.
An Italian tune up is driving the car with gusto! To blow out any carbon build up, find a highway and let her rip.
I believe the term came about from the high dollar (lira) Italian cars that would carbon up at low rpm.
You may want to do a purge, but driving is more fun!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ticking update...

heres what i learned today. there is no visable crack in the flexplate. it was a little nasty under there so i degreased the underside and tranny after inspection. when water was sprayed into the inspection port of the "bell housing" the ticking stopped. after about a minute, it would return. i sprayed again, ticking stopped instantly. WTF?
something else i tried earlier in the day, while going down the road about 40 mph, i shifted into neutral, ticking is consistant with engine rpm. not road speed.
it sounds just like you are under the car with a hammer hitting the bell housing. sometimes, the ticking will be a little random at first, then go constant, rhythmic.
when idleing once shifted into gear, ticking changes to very mild even BEFORE the tranny actually engages. you know that little lag after you shift into gear? during that lag, the clicking will begin to fade away, then once tranny engages, ticking stops.
sometimes, when coming to stop sign, ticking will start very briefly right before shift down into low gear.
of all this, the water thing is the weirdest. its almost like the water is maybe cooling something therefore minimizing something. i know thats crazy but i dont know what else water could do for a torque converter. tranny experts, psychics, gypsys, etc. please throw in.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Please continue on the thread you started. That way others won't have to search for missing parts of a troubleshooting thread and searching would be easier.

Merging the two threads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts