Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a recently purchased 2007 B200 that is letting out a loud squeak when cornering at low / very low speeds. I recently did the rotors and pads on all four corners and adjusted the parking brake - the squeak was there before, but my point is that I had the opportunity to have a good look at each corner and there is nothing that is standing out.

I believe the sound is coming from the front, and it does not happen even at slow speeds when the wheels are straight. I suspect CV lubrication perhaps, but the boots at quick inspection look fine.

Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks in advance.

·
Registered
W123 '83 200, W210 '98 E200K, W212 '13 E350
1,842 Posts
Just to rule out the steering assembly, there's no noise when turning steering whl while stopped, correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is right, I read a few of the threads regarding sound coming from the steering column, it is not that. The squeak is external and coming from a wheel as it rotates slowly while turned - for example while pulling out of a parking spot. It is only present while the car is in motion, and is not a grinding sound, which is what I would expect from a guard rubbing the rotor. It happens in both forward and reverse.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I was just typing a long reply...but you said you checked the brakes, so you had the wheels off the ground.

Did you spin the wheels and check for noise?

edit: what's odd is you said squeek...I thought another possibility would be bearings or CV Joints, but those would rumble, humm, or click (in case of the CV joint). Did you also check for play (bearings, tie rods, springs, balljoints?

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the plan, and I agree, does not sound like a CV to me either. The thing is that it is linked to the slow rotation of the wheel, and only when cranked to the left or right - to me it rules out tie rods, shocks, and springs, and leaves me looking at rotating parts. I don't suspect the bearings as there is no sound at speed when going from side to side, and I am familiar with the sound that a worn sealed bearing makes. Could be though - are the bearings sealed in this automobile or serviceable? It is a really loud squeak, so a bearing making a sound like that would be really blown.

Basically, I was hoping for someone to help me zero in on a likely source, or anyone who had the same situation and found the resolution so I know where to at least start.

·
Registered
see signature
4,017 Posts
Try this: spray some silicone lube on the anti-roll bar bushes.

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll give that a try. Should be this weekend when I get to spend some time with the car, and I will post back the results.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,498 Posts
.....that it is linked to the slow rotation of the wheel, and only when cranked to the left or right - ......
Does this only happen when the steering is turned to it's tightest possible turning radius?...or can you still make a tighter turn ?....

ie...My tires squeal "a touch" when I have the steering turned to the tightest at a low speed tight turn as when I'm making a tight U turn...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
No profile info so don't know if you're local or from a place with frequent rain...from what Devours said, do you hear this noise when the road is wet?

Is the alignment ok? How are the tires wearing? Evenly? No sawtooth pattern? Google for pics.

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, not turned to the tightest possible position and I still get a squeak. It is really pronounced, and not produced by the tires contacting the road. To give you an example, when backing out of the driveway onto the road, then it is not present as you drive away, but will return as you take a corner at a stop sign, go away as you straighten out... Maybe the best similar sound I could suggest is squeaking brakes (the sound is not happening when braking on a slow turn - that would have been an easy one to identify!)

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Calgary - new to Benzworld as this is my first Mercedes. I do believe we hear it dry or wet, but I will pay closer attention. In the meanwhile, I'll get that profile updated.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Using a silicone spray is a good suggestion,...for all of the rubber bushings etc...

....but it could also be a dry bearing judging from the "side loading" squeal you describe. No heat buildup when touching the front wheels..??

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, fairly warm now that you mention it - I will take it out and then take the temperature on all four corners and see if it is uniform. If one is particularly hot, sign of dry bearing?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Maybe not dry, but could be lacking or a bit worn.

The temp in the front may be higher due to more % of the braking force, but left to right wheels should be similar (unless racing on an oval, lol).

Double check by getting the wheel assy. off the ground, holding the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and pulling in and out, and check for play. Also try rotating the wheel while applying pressure in both directions (towards hub and away).

Make sure the car is safely supported (jack stands, wheel chocks, etc.) when applying any force to the vehicle when any wheels are off the ground.

edit: How many km's on it? I'm still not sold on the bearing but could be.

edit some more: Not sure what the spec. for bearing end play is on the B (maybe someone can post) but you can always take the wheels off and use a dial indicator to check the play to see if it's in spec. to get more info on what's going on. Then again it could be something completely different. I noticed that the brake pad hold down hardware (that clips onto the caliper support) is VERY close to the rotor, so if things shift just a tad, you could _possibly_ get some noise.

·
Registered
2008 B200T (W245)
316 Posts
This is fairly basic, and maybe you already checked...but did you look to see if there is any wearing/rubbing inside the wheel well?

since you bought the car used, for all you know, they put the wrong-sized wheels (or wrong offset), or wrong-sized tires for this, so it could be rubbing against the wheel well.

if you keep the same angle turn, but increase the speed, does the squeeling go away? if so, does it abruptly cut off, or gradually?

·
Registered
2007 Black B200
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Long time coming - but here is an update on this situation.

I have had all four corners off and given them a thorough inspection. I could find nothing suspect with any of the joints or hinges, but lubricated everything anyhow. The squeek however, is still as loud as ever.

Here is what I have noticed though: touch the brakes, squeak stops. So, to be clear, low speed straight = no squeak, corner at low speed = loud squeaking. So, I had eliminated the brakes as a source previously, but am now thinking that they may be the source.

My new question would be: what would cause squeaking from the brakes only while cornering. Pads on all four corners are fairly new and good, rotors on the back are brand new, up front, in good shape.

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Vibration can cause this.

Use a mixture of half anti-seize, half brake slider grease. Put a thin layer between the pad backing plate to caliper piston area (inner pad), pad backing plate to caliper fingers (outside pad where it touches the caliper), pad 'ears' to pad mounting hardware/clips, and beween the pad mounting clips to the supports that hold the pad hardware. Then clean, then lubricate the sliders with slider grease only.

Basically, everything should be cleaned nicely with brake cleaner, then any parts which rub or touch each other should be lubed *slightly*. You don't want grease getting between the pad friction side and rotors.

This looks like a bit of work, but actually takes probably less time than it took to write this.

Remember, some shops don't lube sliders or any parts as part of 'standard' brake pad replacement.

Lastly, some on here have had their sliders replaced...it appears their calipers were 'loose' in the sense that the sliders (that bolt to the calipers) had too much clearance to the caliper support bores for the sliders (the caliper support is what mounts to the spindle - the part in the way when you want to remove the rotor).

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
Lastly, some on here have had their sliders replaced...it appears their calipers were 'loose' in the sense that the sliders (that bolt to the calipers) had too much clearance to the caliper support bores for the sliders (the caliper support is what mounts to the spindle - the part in the way when you want to remove the rotor).
Yes Paulo..I did have all of my caliper supports changed out (under warranty) due to too much play between the parts and this gave an annoying rattle on slow bumpy surfaces.

Maybe the backing plate is rubbing on the lower inside rusty rotor surface.....

As Paulo said...take it all apart and lube it properly and also look for any rubs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem with my 1985 - 123 california

i have this exact same problem, loud noise when turning to LEFT, but it's louder when the car is stopped.

at high speeds no audible noises... what could this be?

ty

1 - 20 of 25 Posts