Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'01 E200 KOMPRESSOR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I was driving today at about 10-15 km/h and approaching a give way sign. I slightly pressed the brake when suddenly i hear this loud sound on the left, just like someone had hit the spring with something. The sound generated an echo, a "ping", and I also felt it in my right foot pressing the brake. First I thought the spring perch broke. I pulled over and looked beneath the car, turned the wheels left and right and examined the springs and perches on both sides. Everything looks ok, no sign of rust whatsoever. Got in the car and drove slowly the first kilometer, and then increased the speed to about 50 km/h. Nothing. Not a sound. Got over some speed bumpers, especially drove through some holes in the road, again nothing. The car is not lowered on any side. It drives just like before. Have you experienced such thing? Could have been a stone that jumped in the spring? The sound echo was so metallic (like steel). The car is a 2001 W210. Excuse my english.
Thanks.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Hi, Alin. I'm thinking you may just be chasing a gremlin. The sound quality of the noise made you think of a spring. So you've been focusing on the spring.

However, it could easily have been a rock bouncing off of the wheel/caliper/rotor and resonating. Or one of a dozen other things/places that might generate a sound that could make you think "spring". Indeed, the rotor shield makes an interesting noise when hit by hard road debris, and the impact could be felt through the pedal. (Personally I think that is likely what you heard/felt.)

Like me, perhaps you've read so many threads about common issues with these cars that you're also waiting for "the next thing", so you heard the noise and thought "OH NO, THE DREADED SPRING PERCH!!!" If you'd been driving an '03 Peugeot diesel you probably wouldn't have heard it to begin with, and if you had and the thing didn't steer itself into the next tree you'd have forgotten it by the time you got home. ;)

That said, only you know what it sounded and felt like. If you're concerned, raise the front end (jackstands would be good for this so you can unload much of the front suspension at once) and then remove the wheels and do a careful inspection of the brakes (check out the rotor shields, you'd want to make sure if that was the impact point it's not bent close too close to the rotor, although it takes a pretty large impact to do that), suspension (sure, devote some extra attention to the springs) and steering systems. Use a plastic mallet (or a hardwood stick) to smack a few "hard" things and that will help you (1) realize lots of things can generate the ping (2) you can't really determine the location of the hit and (3) there really isn't anything wrong. May as well treat the anti-sway bar links to a few whacks, if you see movement or get any noise, they're due for replacement anyway. :rolleyes:

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
96 E320(traded), 99 S500, 02 CLK430 Cabriolet, 07 200T(traded), 11 200T
280 Posts
To be sure, take off the front wheel on both side to exam the condition of the spring perch to be sure it shows no sign of rusting. Not sure if its a problem with 2001 model, if yours is a 4-matics model, it will not be the spring perch.

I encountered the spring perch mishap and it happened to me few months ago without any prior indication of failure. Mine is a 96 W210, spring perch failure is a common problem for that model year.

Philip

·
Registered
'01 E200 KOMPRESSOR
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your suport, guys!
Matt, that was my second thought and I think that I would have heard something driving through all the bumpers.
Greg, I hope so much that you are right about number 3. I will drive it carefully this weekend, maybe I'll get a clue. Monday I'll do a full check with my mechanic.
Philip, when your spring perch broke it just snapped out in one piece?
Thanks.

·
Registered
96 E320(traded), 99 S500, 02 CLK430 Cabriolet, 07 200T(traded), 11 200T
280 Posts
Philip, when your spring perch broke it just snapped out in one piece?
Thanks.
Yup, it snapped out in one piece. Mine gave away on the driver side with a big 'bang' noise while I was driving along at 60Km/hr. There was no warning that it was going to dislodge. I have both spring perch replaced now and hopefully will have a more reliable vehicle. Keep in mind that I am in a heavy snow zone and there are lots of salt being used in the winter time in Toronto, especially this year.

Also when the car went through car wash in the winter time, the high speed spray from the water guns actual introduced more moisture in the underside of the wheel weel which may have speed up the perch connection to rust out faster.

Philip

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Yup, it snapped out in one piece. Mine gave away on the driver side with a big 'bang' noise while I was driving along at 60Km/hr. There was no warning that it was going to dislodge. I have both spring perch replaced now and hopefully will have a more reliable vehicle. Keep in mind that I am in a heavy snow zone and there are lots of salt being used in the winter time in Toronto, especially this year.

Also when the car went through car wash in the winter time, the high speed spray from the water guns actual introduced more moisture in the underside of the wheel weel which may have speed up the perch connection to rust out faster.

Philip
Hi, Philip. My understanding is that the issue with the spring perches is two-fold. First, the welds were done in a rather slipshod manner, that is they are minimally effective. If nothing ever disturbed them, they would be fine, but that brings us to point number two. They did not effectively seal them with the mastic or silicone or whatever they used, thus allowing moisture to creep in underneath them. Certainly if you have leaky sealant, rain, snow, chemicals and under-body car washes will exacerbate the problem and hasten their demise, but if they were properly sealed such things won't affect them.

I keep meaning to pull my wheels and pull all the sealant out and reseal them, but I keep putting it off. My car started life in upstate NY, so whatever damage to be done has probably already occurred. :)

Take care and enjoy the long weekend,
Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts