Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting up, slow over bumps, hard non-resonant rattle on right side. Same with top up or down, window up or down, seat forward or back. Almost like the noise your nuckle would make on a wooden desk, a little tiny bit more metallic but not much at all.

Sounds as if it could be seat back, seat rail, or behind the seat.

Will take it in, of course, if I can't discover it by jumping on the car and stuff.

Ideas welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Same problem Ron. Drives me crazy. Due for the 1000 mile service in a couple of weeks. That should solve the problem.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Seat belt buckle.[;)]

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked buckle, that wasn't it. Might be window regulator, but happens up or down. Might be a coke can, but it sounds more solid than that. :)

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
My guess - it is the door latches that need adjustment / replacement.

I had that problem, and it was fixed after replacing (?) some part in the door latch.

You can test for this - ask a passenger to push against the door while driving. You can also use a piece of rag, put it over the triangular door latch piece on the body, and close the door carefully over it to give it more tightness. If the rattle goes away, you have the latch problem.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting idea and quite possible. i think i'll let my wife drive and i'll sit on that side and listen. if nothing else it'll let me zero in on it.

thanks!

·
Registered
Caspian Blue SLK350
61 Posts
I have the same noise when I hit a bump. My buddy says he has it most of the time and the service folks could not identify the problem. I'll pass this along. Many Thanks[:D]

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
I drove the technician around when we tested for this. I drove fairly slowly in a quiet but unenven street. He actually opened the door a bit - and it went away. They got the problem sorted out fairly quickly after that, but it required a new part in the door itself.

I would not recommend opening the door though...take care.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ... I plan to have my wife drive while I listen, and I'll at least lean on the door and I confess I had thought of opening it. Hope she doesn't hit a wall while I'm doing that ...

·
Registered
R171 200 AMG Kit
117 Posts
Sounds like the seat belt to me, had the same problem. Was driving me mad. In the end it was just the buckle hitting of the door.

·
Registered
E55 AMG
359 Posts
I think, I have the same problem

·
Registered
SLK350
26 Posts
I think you should check where your passenger side seatbelt is hanging. When I pulled the belt (and buckle) so that it is laying on the seat face (over the right seat bolster) the noise went away. The buckle had been bouncing around and hitting the seat back and door panel. Hope this fix works for you.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
I have had a rattle from the right hand side since day 1 seems to be coming from the instrument pod, only happens over bumps could not be called loud annoying yes.

gary

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
I had the same problem. If the buckle is lying on the outside of the bolster, the metal piece will almost certainly rattle against the door armrest when you go over bumps. You can prove it by banging on the headrest with your hand and listening to the rattle.

The fix is as others said above - make sure the strap is always hanging inside the bolster.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's not the buckle, i swear it. the buckle is in plain sight, on the front of the seat where it belongs.

this is a heavier sound, anyway.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
RonJeffries - 4/17/2005 1:49 PM

it's not the buckle, i swear it. the buckle is in plain sight, on the front of the seat where it belongs.

Even if you can see the buckle it can still be hitting the side of the seat (and it makes a heavy loud sound). To 100% totally eliminate it as the problem fasted the seat belt as if someone was in the seat and then test drive.

BTW in another thread you asked about TelAid as if you had not bought your car and your sig says "on order".

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time to change the sig. I got the car Friday, but have not asked them to turn on teleaid. should I? what have folks experienced?

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
RonJeffries - 4/18/2005 3:49 AM

Ron

I know exactly what you mean - it is easy to eliminate the belt as the cause. We all do it all the time now - ensuring that the belt hangs down the seat, not next to the door.

You can even buckle it in its latch as if you have a passenger, and the problem is still there.

This is your door - bet you.

roadsta

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
117 Posts
Mine is on the drivers side. Had the chief mechanic take it for a ride & he heard it continously. He could not find it while I was there & they gave me a loaner & he says he will get in the trunk while it is driven to find it./ Very annoying to hear the noise. Will know when the dealer calls me Mon or Tues.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts