Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car to Chambers yesterday to get it checked and they informed me that the CAT needs to be replaced. Good thing this is under warranty 8/80000. set up the next availiable date for an appt which is monday morning.

I was driving this morning to work and heard a loud boom. Sounded like the whole thing came off. I called the Dealer and the SA told me that I can still drive it without hurting the ML. Is he correct?

Thanks for all the input.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Yes it's probably fine....

It's probably a cracked weld causing a leak. It was a supplier defect since the welds were weak, allowing them to crack after about 4-5 years.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
338 Posts
RE: Yes it's probably fine....

Drew - 1/28/2005 10:49 AM

It's probably a cracked weld causing a leak. It was a supplier defect since the welds were weak, allowing them to crack after about 4-5 years.
Are there any model years that this issue is affected by?

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
RE: Yes it's probably fine....

Airjunky - 1/28/2005 10:58 AM
Are there any model years that this issue is affected by?
I believe that it's the earlier models in particular, perhaps even ranging up to as the 2001 models. Mine is an early build 2000 model and the welds on both cats had cracked slightly, necessitating a replacement.

Mind you, I had mine done about a year or so ago. I had not noticed any difference, but the technician and shop foreman noted the issue while it was in for a routine service A.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hade the same thing early with my ML . In the end of the First year , They replaced my Catalac Converter BUT the thing they sayed to me that they replaced 2 Catalac Converter ??? [?] Is irt True !! That ML320 2002 Got TWO [?]

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much does these usually cost to replace including labor?

·
Registered
'00 ML430, '97 E320
165 Posts
Drew, did you see the cracked cats?

I just wonder how noticable these cracks really are. The next time I am under mine, I will inspect. I assume I just look closely at the welds. Are there any welds on the top side you can not see?

Is the 8yr/80000 warranty good for Canada models too? Mine 2000 ML430 was built for Canada in May 2000. Is this the powertrain warranty by chance?

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
That's great, that it was under warranty...One of mine cracked along the seam, and l had it welded at the muffler shop for $50.00 bucks...two months later, l had my emission test...no problems..As Drew mentioned, its along the seams, all you need is a quick re-weld..don't be fooled into thinking you have to buy a new converter........

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Carlos, why?...

C-Rod - 1/28/2005 4:36 PM

That's great, that it was under warranty...One of mine cracked along the seam, and l had it welded at the muffler shop for $50.00 bucks...two months later, l had my emission test...no problems..As Drew mentioned, its along the seams, all you need is a quick re-weld..don't be fooled into thinking you have to buy a new converter........
Did your dealer not cover it under warranty? I thought that the emissions components were covered under an 8 or 10 year warranty?

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
JG - 1/28/2005 1:49 PM

I just wonder how noticable these cracks really are. The next time I am under mine, I will inspect. I assume I just look closely at the welds. Are there any welds on the top side you can not see?
Yes, I did see the cracked welds. They were not gaping holes by any means, but if you looked closely you could see the very small gaps in the metal. I was told that mine was just beginning though (since my ML does not have very high mileage for it's age).

You should be able to inspect them from under the vehicle. That's what the tech did when he had the ML up on the lift.

Is the 8yr/80000 warranty good for Canada models too? Mine 2000 ML430 was built for Canada in May 2000. Is this the powertrain warranty by chance?
That I'm not 100% sure about either and will have to look into it. However once you import the vehicle cross border, it becomes a bit of a stickier situation.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
AL-Sayegh - 1/28/2005 12:39 PM

I hade the same thing early with my ML . In the end of the First year , They replaced my Catalac Converter BUT the thing they sayed to me that they replaced 2 Catalac Converter ??? [?] Is irt True !! That ML320 2002 Got TWO [?]
Yes it's true for all MLs with the V-formation engines (V6, V8). One cat per bank of cylinders.

·
Registered
'00 ML430, '97 E320
165 Posts
Drew - 1/29/2005 3:12 PM

JG - 1/28/2005 1:49 PM

Yes, I did see the cracked welds. They were not gaping holes by any means, but if you looked closely you could see the very small gaps in the metal. I was told that mine was just beginning though (since my ML does not have very high mileage for it's age).

You should be able to inspect them from under the vehicle. That's what the tech did when he had the ML up on the lift.

That I'm not 100% sure about either and will have to look into it. However once you import the vehicle cross border, it becomes a bit of a stickier situation.
Thanks for the response. My ML was imported in March 2002 and I have had my share of "free" warranty work completed here in the US. So I would assume any emmissions warranty would still apply. I just have never seen any official document that states what the various warranties are. One thing I did not get by importing to US was the free scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
2000 ML430
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my ML back last night and it's nice and quiet. Glad it's under warranty!! Hope nothing else breaks now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts