Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again...another issue with Airmatic!

About a month ago my airmatic pump started to make a hideously loud vibrating/rattling noise, there was nothing on my display to indicate there was any problem and the suspension seemed to go up and down OK.
The noise was continuous and would only stop briefly(2/3 seconds) when i pressed the button on my dash to raise the height.

I had a local independant garage look at it who found that the cover for the pump was hanging of, they cleaned the pump and put it back together and told me it was fixed...unfortunately, this was not the case and I found that the pump continued to vibrate although the noise was not as loud!

Eventually, I decided to replace the pump with a new one from Mercedes although I got the local garage to install it. Once again I was told that the new pump was working fine and again found that this was not the case. As far as I can tell, the suspension seems to work OK ie. it goes up and down BUT the airmatic pump comes on for a few minutes when I start the car and continues to turn on every so often!

Can anyone help or offer any advice whatsoever???

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I am sure you have guessed by now that this is not a new problem on the W220, firstly check the top of your front struts for cracks, there is a modification for this problem.

If air leaks occur then the pump tends to work overtime and also puts undue heat into the relay, both can fail. So check for leaks first or you may end up burning out your new pump.

If you do a search on this subject you will find a LOT of threads:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
This might be out of bounds, Have you checked your fan to see if that is the noise you are hearing when comes on and off? Main fan bearing or the remote motor. Just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
The only thing with the relay is it stay's on or it does not, That is how they work will not fluxuate. They recieve info to open circut or close.

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
Merc786, did you have your airpump replaced together with buffers and pump air filter? If not, then most likely old pump buffers are the reason of the noise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Currently the pump is not on constantly so therefore I assume it is not the relay!

The pump seems to come on for about 2 minutes when i turn the car on and drive but turns off if i press the brakes and then as soon as i continue to drive the pump will turn on again for a total of roughly 2 minutes - I am quite confident that this noise is from the air pump although I cannot be 100% sure whether it is definately the airmatic pump comes on again later or if it is something else that is vibrating!

Nikolas - I have not heard of the buffers or air pump filter until now, can you tell me anymore about them ie. what do they do and where are they located?

Also, could anyone tell me if the pump is supposed to only turn on when the car is started for a short period of time or whether the pump will continuously pump air as and when it is required to adjust the suspension?

Finally, does anybody know for certain if the ride height must be re-set/calibrated after a new pump is fitted? After speaking to an independant mechanic who is apparently a bit of an expert on the Airmatic suspension, I was told that this is not the case although some people on this site and Mercedes are convinced that calibration must be done for the new pump to work properly - can anybody shed any light on this?!?!

Btw, thank you for comment so far!

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
You should and I recomend you have the ride height calibrated so snesors all know where they are. Second I never heard of buffers or filter either. Third if you hear the noise from inside the vehicle with windows closed that is probably your abs system.
The pump comes on when needed to adjust susp. automaticly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Gammaess, you think I should definately have Mercedes reset/re-calibrate the ride height?

I was told by independant mechanic that the noise may be ABS pump too so more than likely that is the case.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes S500 2002 Yamaha R6 2005 Suzuki SV650S
224 Posts
I might sound stupid, but how do you know if your pump is working or not. I was playing in the car with ride hight and could not hear anything more than normal noises ???

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
I might sound stupid, but how do you know if your pump is working or not. I was playing in the car with ride hight and could not hear anything more than normal noises ???
That is normal for good or new pump - you almost can't hear when it is working. The sound of working pump is obvious when the pump is worn. After I had my pump replaced together with buffers - I can't hear it neither.

Speaking about buffers and air filter - please, follow this link: CATALOGUE /tell me if this link doesn't work/

A2203270830 (needed 3 pieces), A2203270930 (needed 2 pieces) - these are the part numbers for rubber buffers;
A2203200069 - this is the pump air filter.

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
That is normal for good or new pump - you almost can't hear when it is working. The sound of working pump is obvious when the pump is worn. After I had my pump replaced together with buffers - I can't hear it neither.

Speaking about buffers and air filter - please, follow this link: CATALOGUE /tell me if this link doesn't work/

A2203270830 (needed 3 pieces), A2203270930 (needed 2 pieces) - these are the part numbers for rubber buffers;
A2203200069 - this is the pump air filter.
You are right, That is the same drawings that I have and should have known better. I wonder if there should be some kind of service for those parts and if you did service them would the pump last longer? We always look at the main componenets and neglect the minor behind the fender stuff that actually causes other things to fail as a chain reaction. they are there for a reason.

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
So Gammaess, you think I should definately have Mercedes reset/re-calibrate the ride height?

I was told by independant mechanic that the noise may be ABS pump too so more than likely that is the case.
Myself I would have a shop recalibrate the ride height, It does cost but not alot and then you know that all sensors are good because they communicate with the computer and everything is doing what they are supposed to and you bought the vehicle for that amazing ride.
It is just a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts

You do not sound stupid for asking a question, If you cannot hear it and your vehicle is smooth,not on the ground it is running perfect. If ever in doubt go have it checked. I cannot hear my engine running but I am moving.
Enjoy the MB while you can. you will run into the odd headache.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes S500 2002 Yamaha R6 2005 Suzuki SV650S
224 Posts
You do not sound stupid for asking a question, If you cannot hear it and your vehicle is smooth,not on the ground it is running perfect. If ever in doubt go have it checked. I cannot hear my engine running but I am moving.
Enjoy the MB while you can. you will run into the odd headache.
well when I drive it kinda feels like a hard suspenssion I would think it should run much smoother but maybe thats the way it is. Just sometimes if I go over speed bumps or ramps in the parking garage "Airmatic visit workshop" comes up and the car feels like no suspession super hard can feel every bump, but the car does not drop. But after restart it is back to normal. What could that be ????

·
Registered
2001 S430
419 Posts
That still happens after you have had the pump change? If so I would without doubt take it in to be looked at by someone who is experienced with MB and has star diagnostic's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Once again...another issue with Airmatic!

About a month ago my airmatic pump started to make a hideously loud vibrating/rattling noise, there was nothing on my display to indicate there was any problem and the suspension seemed to go up and down OK.
The noise was continuous and would only stop briefly(2/3 seconds) when i pressed the button on my dash to raise the height.

I had a local independant garage look at it who found that the cover for the pump was hanging of, they cleaned the pump and put it back together and told me it was fixed...unfortunately, this was not the case and I found that the pump continued to vibrate although the noise was not as loud!

Eventually, I decided to replace the pump with a new one from Mercedes although I got the local garage to install it. Once again I was told that the new pump was working fine and again found that this was not the case. As far as I can tell, the suspension seems to work OK ie. it goes up and down BUT the airmatic pump comes on for a few minutes when I start the car and continues to turn on every so often!

Can anyone help or offer any advice whatsoever???
IT THE BUSHINGS THAT HOLDS THE
COMPRESSOR THEY ARE BAD. I HAD SAME PROBLEM

·
W220 Moderator
6,175 Posts
LOL, I should start doing what another Forum does and lock the Necro Threads when this happens :D

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,558 Posts
That can depend. I myself have updated necro-threads when I've found new info on solving a problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts