Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey, so I have an '87 300D that has had a fuel leak and I just got the IP delivery seals fixed and was pointed to/told that the injectors seals were crap too so I'm like I'll see if I can nab some then. It runs pretty rough which, correct me if I'm wrong, seems like more pressure was put on the injectors since the delivery is not leaking. Not even a day after though and I noticed my car developed a loud knocking noise that definitely doesn't sound like 'diesel knock'. It seems fine for a sec when you start it up but it's audible as heck once you get the gas pedal going.

It did somehow develop a coolant leak recently(internal?) after I overshot a turn out of town and the front underside got popped, and I stupidly used one of those stop leaks not thinking stuff could've ended up blending in with the oil or anything. The thing is, that was dang near a month ago and this new knock did not occur until -after- the IP delivery seals were fixed the other day.

Blah blah blah Does anyone know if something from when the IP seals were fixed could've caused this/brought it to the forefront, or just by sheer coincidence something engine related is messed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like one cylinder is not doing its job /
Is that a tough thing to dig into?

I guess I'm just worried it could be more trouble than it's worth because I've been trying to pay attention to any signs that pop up due to age, etc. and a number of things around it are still in good shape. :3

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,247 Posts
Maybe a delivery valve was not installed properly or some dirt got into one during assembly? That could cause a bad spray at the injector. Try cracking each fuel line, independently, at each injector while the engine is running. If the knocking goes away when any of them are cracked, that is the cylinder that is the problem. Trace it back to the delivery valves and check that one for proper assembly. Could also be a bad injector, but since it started when the delivery valves were done, that seems the most likely source of the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts