1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
W202 '98 C200 T AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My 98' C200 T AT has the following problem:
When driving at low rpm such as 1200-1500 and then hitting the gas hard(or kickdown) the following things happen:
1) Engine chokes
2) while choking: Loud knock from the engine
3) AT shifts down to a lower gear
4) Car accelerates flawlessly

These things happen in 1-2 secs.
I have just replaced the MAF which got rid of most of the choking, and no choking/knocking whatsoever occurs at 2000+ rpm.

When the MAF was faulty, I had trouble starting the car since the idle was rough and it would stall.
However, it would also cause frequent loud knocks from under the hood and subsequent rpm drops when the car was parked and warming up.

Can someone suggest what to check? Its really scary! :confused:

Thanks for reading/helping!

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Dirty Throttle Body

Try cleaning your Throttle Body. A dirty T.B can do what you are describing so will a bad MAF as you found out. You may be looking at a double whammy!:eek:

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
W202 '98 C200 T AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks again cjshade!

Im such an engine dummy, does loud knock = misfire?

I searched here again, using other search words and noticed that many have had this problem.

Now the question is, is the throttle body cleaning an easy DIY job?
Should I take it appart, use some sprays or take it to my mechanic instead?

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Cleaning T.B.

I have not yet tackled mine but probably should. From what I have read you take off the intake tube and spray some carb cleaner on a dust free rag and wipe the inside of the tube removing the worst of it. then you can spray the rest clean. Look around and maybe some has posted some pictures. If anybody reads this that has the low-down on T.B. cleaning please chime in.

An engine Knock usually means pre-ignition.

My wife says it's time to get in the Spa. I never argue with that.

C as in 220

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
CJ probably meant to write this, but you want to use a quality intake cleaner for fuel injected engines vs. a carb cleaner. Carb cleaners often have chemicals that are too harsh for some of the things it will come in contact with as it moves through the intake system. Quality intake cleaner usually has an integrated lubricant which helps protect the moving parts. I like the CRC products.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
CRC Cleaner

Thanks xvvvz,:bowdown:

I will remember to use CRC cleaner when I do mine soon.

C as in 220

·
Registered
W202 '98 C200 T AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys.

Some updates.

What I have done:
-changed spark plugs
-changed MAF again
-cleaned throttle body
-replaced air filter

Exactly the same problem as in the first post.

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Gas

What grade of Gas are you using. It sounds like you may be experiancing pre-ignition. Maybe an Octane Boost is in order.

C as in 220

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
91 Octane

Yes 91 Octane is fine for where we live. At high altitudes in the U.S. they only go as high as 89. It is because of the thinner air.

Scrapper is in middle Europe somewhere so I have no idea what he has available.

Some people swear they can run 87 but I would never take that chance, it's in the Manual.

C as in 220

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

·
Registered
W202 '98 C200 T AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to use 95E(RON) but I've been on 98E(RON) for half a year. I guess the euro98 is better than premium (91) in US?

Should I go back to 95?

·
Registered
96' C220
1,275 Posts
Octane Ratings

I'm going to have to do some research on that one. Does the 98E cost more or less than the 95E. I'll bet the most expensive one is the higher rating.:rolleyes:

Maybe someone of Great Wisdom will chime in here...

C as in 220

·
Registered
W202 '98 C200 T AT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
98(E stands for euro-compliant) is about the most expensive gasoline you can get here aside racing fuel.

I might add that this knock rarely happens with the engine being warm.

·
Registered
1996 C36 ///AMG and a 1995 C280 sport
672 Posts
Very good article cjshade! That explains why the Europeans have 98-99 Super Premium octane fuel... that fuel is actually the same 94 Super Premium that Sunoco offers here in Toronto Canada. That explains a lot of stuff! I remember someone told me on this forum a while a go that "the Germans test there Benz engines on 100 octane fuel" but now I understand that its the Super premium here. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts