Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
C230 Sport Kompressor 2002
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys , after a short drive to my grocery store and back my car started making this really loud grinding/screeching sound as I turn my front tire. This was at low speed as I was trying to park my car into my garage. Anyone be able to provide some sort of advice to what could cause it ? I checked my power steering fluid and it seems to be on a decent level . Photos attached. I checked the fluid after an hour of the car sitting in the garage.

It's a C230 Sport Kompressor 2002

Also just to confirm this is the location of power steering fluid right?

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Fluid level looks good unfortunately that is a bad sign. Do you now have a constant power steering whine? Probably a shot PS pump. Does the reservoir foam when engine is running? I've been through a lot of PS issues with my c32 including replacing the pump... :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had always screech whenever I turn my wheels to the maximum left / right but now is grinds when I move it even gently . How much does replacing the PS pump will cost ? And is it something that I could do ? I swapped out the MAF filter and that was the most I have done on the car other than an oil change .

Can I open the reservoir to look when the engine is running ? Or do so after the engine is running ? I can't see much of the reservoir when I remove the cap .

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Yes, look down into it with a flashlight engine running. See if it's bubbling at all. The pump shouldn't be too bad to DIY. The C32 was a PIA due to the reinforced bracket setup. There is a kit to repair all gaskets on the pump, and it cost like $20 dollars. That was for the C320 pump though. Not sure if it would work on yours. Do you have PS whine without moving the wheels?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It doesn't whine as long as I'm not turning the wheel. I didn't had a chance to test it again this morning because it started snowing. Apparently my car really hate the cold weather , last year around the same time , i blew a gasket that cost me 1000 to fix ( idiots at the indy couldnt find the problem and made me replaced a whole bunch of stuff before I finally cave in and brought it to the dealer to fix it and they got it right the first , how rare is that ).

How much time / labor would be to swap out the PS pump ( your best guess ) ? Also which box is the PS Pump located ?

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
I took around 10 hours for the C32. The M111 might be easier to work with. The reservoir is right on top of the power steering pump. Remove air filter box.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 2002c230. Tonight when I get back I'm going to fire up the car and let her heat up before I test the whinning and groaning sound again. This time I'll record it with a video camera and maybe you can provide some feedback ? Also I've read on the forums about changing the power steering fluid so I might go down this path first before changing my PS unit out completely

PHOTO DIY- Power Steering Fluid Change

What do you think ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess what ? I got home , started the car and left it running for 15 minutes to make sure everything warms up and NO screeching or grinding sound from moving the tires left or right. I don't know what to say , maybe it was because it was 23F outside yesterday and I didn't warm up the car when I left the grocery place that cause something to be still freezing and creating the grinding sound ? I didn't get to drive it around because of the snow , this car has ZERO traction in the snow regardless of what tires I have so I've learned my lesson not to drive it when it snows. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the PS fluid and replaced it using the suction method on the post above. I just bought the MityVac to do the oil change so it can come in handy for this.

Here's a video clip of the reservoir , no foaming at all. Car was running about 10 minutes or so when I checked it.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
If it sounds good now my guess is air was introduced into the system. There's several main points this can happen. The reservoir gasket could be leaking, or o-ring on the pressure line to steering rack is bad. Worse case the internal main gasket is going. Rebuild or replacement of the pump is required. Pull your front underbody panel and inspect for any signs of leakage. You will find fluid built up on the top side of the panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts