Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when I fill up my tank and until it gets under half full I have a loud gas smell in the car. My brother told me it was my gas tank pressure release or something like that. So after looking in the truck I find a loud smell and the black material glued to the tank is loose around the white circle in the tank that has an electric wire hooked to it.

Is there some type of seal that could be defective? The smell is too much to take I have to get it fixed fast. Any ideas what that parts is because that is the source of the smell.

·
Registered
E320
153 Posts
RJBENZ - 3/21/2005 9:48 PM

Ok when I fill up my tank and until it gets under half full I have a loud gas smell in the car. My brother told me it was my gas tank pressure release or something like that. So after looking in the truck I find a loud smell and the black material glued to the tank is loose around the white circle in the tank that has an electric wire hooked to it.

Is there some type of seal that could be defective? The smell is too much to take I have to get it fixed fast. Any ideas what that parts is because that is the source of the smell.
I'm not sure what a "loud" smell is but I suspect your English is a lot better than my ability to speak your language. Anyway, I know what you mean and I think the problem is the seal around the tank fill pipe - if you spill even a little bit around the outside of where you put the gasoline nozzle and the seal is defective, gas will run down towards the trunk area. I did see a post somewhere on mbnz (but I forget which forum) that talks about this probem. I suggest you do a search in "All Forums" for gas odor or fuel smells or similar, and I bet you will find the post I mentioned. Bottom line is most likely it is the seal around the filler pipe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DieSilberBenz. I will check the filler pipe seal also but I thought it was the white circular piece of plastic that is higher up in the tank. It was a wire plugged into it. At any rate I will check both out and thanks for your reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts