102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got it.
1998 cl500 close to 200k miles

Need your help on these issues
1. Fog lights don't work
2. Parking Assist is dead. No beeps no lights
3. Seat belt extender is not moving on neither sides
4. Drivers seat controls have their own mind. Press up moves down. The comfort option doesn't work and it won't move the seat forward when folded for rear passenger access. Backlight on the seat controls is off on the passenger side

5. Drivers window has it's own mind. Doesn't close the inch when the door is closed.
6. Heated seats don't work
I think my drivers seat module is bad, driver's window module and parking assist circuit.

Any suggestions where to start?

·
Registered
99CL600,98CL600 Swiss import,R230 SL666, EURO1985 280 CE & XR600R Desert killer
915 Posts
I know what you need to do visit the dealer first and do short test and tell the to print out all the errors for you this is the only way to do it unless you have high tec MB tool then you can do it on your own ,but if you don't then dealer is the only way that way you 'll know exactly if it is fron bumper sensors or rear which modules are bad etc it will cost you between $35.80 or $80.00 .

·
Registered
CL500 - 1998; 250S - 1966
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you need to do visit the dealer first and do short test and tell the to print out all the errors for you this is the only way to do it unless you have high tec MB tool then you can do it on your own ,but if you don't then dealer is the only way that way you 'll know exactly if it is fron bumper sensors or rear which modules are bad etc it will cost you between $35.80 or $80.00 .
Thanks. Just scheduled for tomorrow with my mechanic.
He'll give me the list of trouble codes and i'll post it here.

Today my tranny decided to go in limp mode so there should be a long list of trouble codes

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed most of the issues.

Transmission is ok now. Replaced the harness connector. Added 1 quart of fluid and replaced the transmission controller. Lots of fluid in the coffin box and under the connector

Fog lights needed new bulbs.

The window wouldn't roll down when i open/close the door (coupe). Replaced the lock assembly in the drivers door due to the faulty switch. Works great now.

Issues still present:
Driver's seat has it's own mind. I replaced the under seat control module and the seat switch on the door and same issues.

Seat belt extenders don't work. But i do hear a click when i click on the button.
Anyone knows where exactly the seat belt module is? Diagram shows "behind rear seat". But where exactly?

Parking system is dead. Waiting for a new control module in the mail.

The mirrors are strange too. Sometimes they work fine. Sometimes i either loose the vertical adjustment or i see smoke coming out of the left motor.

The most annoying one is the seat adjusting. Plus, when i tilt the seat, i'm expecting it to move forward. But it moves back a few inches. The switch in the door has no backlight on the driver's side. Replaced 3 switches and still nothing.
Passenger side is fine.

Is there a common ground point for the above issues. Cause that's how it's behaving. G309 is the ground point for some of them. Anyone knows where that "Left front door seal ground terminal" is?

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,639 Posts
Good job well done there MEPEH-W140 , like jcmbz said or intends to in other words Rule number one here on the forum " Share your fixes on the W140's " , it's up to you if you feel like doing it ,lol ,a great help for all the other members here . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The reason i didn't go in details is because there was little interest on this thread and some of the Solutions were embarrassingly easy.

The fog lights - needed bulbs

The driver seat was the hardest. The seat would not respond to the controls. There was no backlight on the seat switch either. The tilting of the seat would not move it forward (coupe)
Replaced about 3 different modules and seat switches.
Removed the rocker panel, door panel, under the dash panel.
Exposed and inspected all wires.
I was afraid that moisture got in it and damaged.
I swapped the seats about 4 times until i realized there was nothing wrong with the sear motors, module or switch
Turned out - the switch was wired incorrectly. The actual connector can be opened. The smart guy who worked on this car before, decided to mix the wires in the connector. And swap the polarity on the vertical motion motor.

The seatbelt extenders... Well this is embarrassing. It was missing fuse 7 in the trunk. There was another one under the hood that was good. Didn't expect 2 fuses for one mechanism

Parking system PTS - Burned control module

Seat heaters - Bad relay module under the rear passenger seat

The most annoying one was the feature that rolls the window down an few mm when you open/close door (coupe)
When i figured that it's the door switch bad, i hoped it would be the door jam switch which is 5min to replace.
Turned out it was the microswitch in the lock assembly.
Expensive stuff.
Bought 2 locks ( have a spare one for those who need it)
Taking the lock out is a bitch. Took me about an hour to figure out how to pull it out once disconnected. You work without using your eyes. Very tight.
Put the new lock in. I could replace just the switch, but the spare lock i had were from a 70k miles and mine has 200k miles so i replaced the whole assembly.

The door operates fine now and window rolls good too.
I replaced the window motor with the one from the same donor car so it's going up easier now. Need to lubricate the rails now.

I got the car about 2 weeks ago and went through a LOT of trouble shooting with it.

Now it's time to take care of the transmission. Have another thread on this topic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts