Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML 270CDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my ML 270 CDI made year 2000 had a lot of black or dark grey smoke even in idle. It is absolutely not normal, it is like you were fogging on something, impossible to drive it on street. there is no fault code appears in the star diagnostic, the only clue is the quantity injected is out of tolerance (read on actual value). other related component has been checked and all in good condition(injector,rail pressure sensor,valve pressure regulator, airmass sensor,coolant temperature sensor,turbo,crankshaft sensor).do I miss something??
please give me advise, this problem occur from september, it is really confusing me.
Thank You.

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,836 Posts
Hi all, my ML 270 CDI made year 2000 had a lot of black or dark grey smoke even in idle. It is absolutely not normal, it is like you were fogging on something, impossible to drive it on street. there is no fault code appears in the star diagnostic, the only clue is the quantity injected is out of tolerance (read on actual value). other related component has been checked and all in good condition(injector,rail pressure sensor,valve pressure regulator, airmass sensor,coolant temperature sensor,turbo,crankshaft sensor).do I miss something??
please give me advise, this problem occur from september, it is really confusing me.
Thank You.
How is the air cleaner and fuel filter? First things to check when a diesel is smoking.

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
I was under the impression that smoke (and noise) was a characteristic of diesel engines.

My advice would be to get a petrol-engined ML.:p

Just kidding:D, try rudedude's suggestion first and see where that gets you.

Also you said that 'quantity injected is out of tolerance' - Quantity of what?

If it's running rich (i.e supplying too much fuel to the engine) that could certainly be a cause of the excessive smoke.

·
Registered
ML 270CDI
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My analysis is there is to rich, shown by the actual value of fuel injected quantity was over the tolerance number. then what can make this happens? things I have checked : air leak, rail pressure sensor, air mass sensor, valve pressure regulator, coolant temperature,air filter,fuel filter,injector,boost pressure,turbo,vacum line, do I miss something?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts