Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was on a track of course. After getting lunch, on my way home, I saw a track and so did the car next to me so we went on the track and raced...

He was in a Acura/Honda NSX... Wow, those are quick. We took off the line, head to head... at 60, we were still pretty much neck and neck, although he was a few inches ahead of me... Once my car shifted into 4th, he took off... At about 120+ he was a good couple car lengths ahead of it...

DOH! Oh well, I dont feel terrible, even though it was a 6 cylinder, because he had a stick shift... And his was def newer than 1991 ;)

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
A 3.5 liter V-6 - I know, I have one in my RL - which is considerably heavier than the NXS - it was built at a lose to the factory to be a contender to Ferrari - don't feel too bad!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 3.5 liter V-6 - I know, I have one in my RL - which is considerably heavier than the NXS - it was built at a lose to the factory to be a contender to Ferrari - don't feel too bad!
WELL, if it was made for those intentions, I do feel better a bit... But it's still an Acura...
Now wheres that supercharger for the r129....

BTW, are those NSX costly?

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
Most of the ones I've seen used with 100K miles start in the $20K range. If you think you like that style, I suggest you look for a well cared for Mitsibushi 3000GT VR4 - all-wheel drive, all-wheel steering and twin turbo - I had one and it was just slightly slower than my Porsche 911 turbo. Research at 3si.org

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,225 Posts
So i was on a track of course. After getting lunch, on my way home, I saw a track and so did the car next to me so we went on the track and raced...

He was in a Acura/Honda NSX... Wow, those are quick. We took off the line, head to head... at 60, we were still pretty much neck and neck, although he was a few inches ahead of me... Once my car shifted into 4th, he took off... At about 120+ he was a good couple car lengths ahead of it...

DOH! Oh well, I dont feel terrible, even though it was a 6 cylinder, because he had a stick shift... And his was def newer than 1991 ;)
Was this a 1/4 mile track. there is no way you should have been in 4th in 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
OP: The NSXs only weigh around 2900lbs, it's a light car so it doesn't need a lot of power to be fast. The SL is like 1400-1500lbs heavier, and when it comes to an acceleration contest I think you did pretty well considering the ridiculous weight disadvantage you had.

·
Registered
2000 :W220 - 1986 W201: 16v Nam,16v Euro- 2002:SL500 Silver Arrow.2002:Avalanche-
2,263 Posts
WELL, if it was made for those intentions, I do feel better a bit... But it's still an Acura...
Now wheres that supercharger for the r129....

BTW, are those NSX costly?
Ask Peter R129 send his over from Thailand...hehehe...:D

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts

If I remember correctly, the Honda NSX was developed in it's early days by one Mr. A. Senna so don't feel tooo bad. I may be wrong - but could I have imagined that?

Regards
Steve

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
Two completely different cars, built for different buyers.

The NSX was built as a supercar contender (ie Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.) with it's aluminum spaceframe and mid-engined Honda V-6.

Our SLs are not supercar anything by ANY stretch of the imagination (well, maybe price). Using 300 or 389HP to haul around a +4000lb front engined behemoth won't win you many straight line or slalom competitions against real sports cars. The SL's genius is in it's comfort, dependability and cruise-worthiness.

SLs are sporty cars, not sports cars.

·
Registered
2000 SL500 Mineral Green
222 Posts
Riding in an SL is far more pleasant than in an NSX because the engine is not six inches away from your ears.

But, their styling is drop dead gorgeous, even better than the SL's which is great.

·
Registered
2001 ML430 Sport bought in very nice shape despite 156K miles in August 2010
540 Posts
The NSX is impressive on track. I've instructed in a couple of them, which required driving them for a few laps of demo [gently of course]. Its a very sophisticated car. Handling is nicely neutral right up to the limit, the engine pulls through 8500 like a train, the gearbox is a jewel, and the brakes are strong. Quite amazing for a 3.2 liter street car.

·
Registered
R129 SL500
151 Posts

DOH! Oh well, I dont feel terrible, even though it was a 6 cylinder, because he
had a stick shift... And his was def newer than 1991 ;)
Andrew Tang what was your time for this 1/4 mile track?

·
Registered
SL 280 Twinturbo ECU F-con V Pro
136 Posts
Andrew Tang May be you need to get this ? If any one need power for your M-104 flat 6 ? I have a old set of Mosselman Twinturbo for sale . It 's put out 350 WHP
That should do it . the set came with exhaust pipe to turbo . 2 manifold by mosselman . 2 Turbo . 6 injector (from 911) 450 cc . ECU F-con SZ

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Andrew Tang May be you need to get this ? If any one need power for your M-104 flat 6 ? I have a old set of Mosselman Twinturbo for sale . It 's put out 350 WHP
That should do it . the set came with exhaust pipe to turbo . 2 manifold by mosselman . 2 Turbo . 6 injector (from 911) 450 cc . ECU F-con SZ
You got that setup for the m119? ;)
hmm, Actually, my w124 has the m104 motor in it i believe....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts