Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 81 of 81 Posts

·
Equal Opportunity Offender
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,171 Posts
My 1999 ML430 has 225,000 miles and nothing major has gone wrong. Other than vague generalizations, you provide no support as to why it's one of the worst pieces of junk ever made by Mercedes. I know from guys that worked at Mercedes back in the late 90's that surburban moms weren't happy with the quality (cup holders etc), so perhaps that's what you mean. There is a huge following for the W163 (just check the number of comments on Benzworld), as well as on the various Facebook groups. It simply wouldn't have the popularity it currently does if it was as bad as you say.
Problems with 98 and 99 MY's have been covered ad nauseum on this board. Save for a few who get in defense mode and take it personally when they are told the truth, most here understand this conclusion. I have owned 2 W163's. The 99 ML430 had a rock solid engine and tranny but I stop there. Too many issues to list. My 2002 I still have and drive. Much better quality truck. My 99 ML430 had 212,000 miles on it when I sold it. It gave me a few problems but nothing compared to the even worse W164. So, saying the 98-99 was the biggest piece of junk MB ever built may be a jump since that badge definitely would go to the W164. But the early model ML's had way more issues than their successors. As affordable as these trucks have become, a 2002-05 can be had for little money and would be a better buy save for the key issue. I would absolutely not buy one that didn't have 2 working keys, no matter the my.

81 - 81 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.