Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
00 E55 03 C32 / 03 C230k sdn 04 C230k sdn 98 ML320 98 528i
122 Posts
You are sounding just as you say.,.

This forum is not about knocking someone down lower then they already are. It is about lending a hand of advice to pull them up.

Sorry you had issues with yours, but had you joined when you owned your 2001 you may of had a better ML experience, as many of us current ML enthusiasts are having.

And a 2014 can not be compared to a w163.
not to sound like a total douche but hopefully this is a valuable lesson for both of you. For him leading the importance of his belongings and taking care of his things starts with him not losing the most important thing to be able to drive a car. Lesson for you. You should’ve never bought him a 98’ ML. The old ML’s are the biggest pieces of junk Mercedes has ever made. I’ve had an SL, CLK, 2 ML’s and my CLK 430 was the best car I’ve ever owned. My 2001 ML 430 was pure garbage. I bought a 2014 ML that was a year old and that was a pretty well made car but only kept it for a few years. Next time you buy your kid a first car get him a 4cyl Toyota or Honda as they are almost bulletproof. Old German cars are money pits and not made for kids. They are great for enthusiasts who like to tinker and waste money.
Wrong .... I’ve been though (A lot) of Mercedes and still have our 98 ML320 to this day (10+years) it’s the Best Mercedes we’ve owned here’s an number of MBs We’ve owned the past W210 E55 ,w202 C36, w203 c230k hatch, 00 ML55, 00 ML 320 designo 450SL (sold recently). W124 300D turbo etc....
Current MBs GLK 350 , C32, (2) C230 kompressor sedans, And a 1998 ML 320
(Former Mercedes Benz technician) ... 2014 ML? Lol just Wait .....

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,301 Posts
It's less than 1/2 that now according to the site info. :)
Still, $750 is still higher than my usual prices.

Probably will need to buy two junker 163's (pre facelift and post facelift) and then offer this service.

But then the issue is storage of the junker cars. I doubt I can hide them behind the trash dumpster from my landlord's snoopy eyes.....

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,691 Posts
Still, $750 is still higher than my usual prices.

Probably will need to buy two junker 163's (pre facelift and post facelift) and then offer this service.

But then the issue is storage of the junker cars. I doubt I can hide them behind the trash dumpster from my landlord's snoopy eyes.....
Well then , IF I ever run into an issue like this, (knock on wood), my parts are coming your way for a fixing. :)

Reactions: Deplore

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go online, type in key for 1998 MNL 320, buy one and try it. If it works you are home free. If not then look for the other areas for the problem. May have to buy the cylinder also. Mercedes are not easy and are expensive.
Buying a key on line will not work unless the RFID chip is correctly coded To the Owners Ml.

BnanaBenz’s dealer ordered a valet key.

Either 2 things happened the valet key chip was not correctly coded in Texas by Mercedes

or

Damage to the DAS from the when it was towed or being messed with by the dealer.

By the way Valet keys are only 50$ US.

Banana would need to answer this but lost key I would take it means locked car. No way to get it in Nuetral via emergency method. So how was it towed? Flat bed? Lift and dolly?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
281 Posts
i am confused on a few things here. If the dealer was able to program the replacement key then why do they claim there might be something wrong with the AAM? it has been my experience with my chinese xantry/DAS that any misread from the diagnostic system will trigger a failure to establish connection warning and prevent you from moving forward. is it entirely possible to still have communication on a faulty AAM? anything is possible on 20 plus year old truck....

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
i am confused on a few things here. If the dealer was able to program the replacement key then why do they claim there might be something wrong with the AAM? it has been my experience with my chinese xantry/DAS that any misread from the diagnostic system will trigger a failure to establish connection warning and prevent you from moving forward. is it entirely possible to still have communication on a faulty AAM? anything is possible on 20 plus year old truck....
Just to clarify the dealer does not program anything. They order the key preprogrammed directly from MB. They are shipped to the parts department from Texas. I have ordered two valet keys. Picked them up at the parts counter. Walked to the car, inserted the key, started up no issue.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
281 Posts
Just to clarify the dealer does not program anything. They order the key preprogrammed directly from MB. They are shipped to the parts department from Texas. I have ordered two valet keys. Picked them up at the parts counter. Walked to the car, inserted the key, started up no issue.
ohhhhhh i see. i didn’t know they were preprogrammed. but even with that isn’t there some pairing process that has to occur just like after replacing a dead battery on the key fob ? i am still fortunate to have both of my key fobs and valet key and i recall after replacing the fob battery the vehicle would not start unless i did a few things with the key positions and what not. so is that not the case? or dumb question?

·
Registered
2000 ML320
281 Posts
never mind i remember the blade key will still start the car but remote functions won’t unless you do that key positioning thing. my bad. i thought i was on to something....got too excited

·
Equal Opportunity Offender
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,190 Posts
not to sound like a total douche but hopefully this is a valuable lesson for both of you. For him leading the importance of his belongings and taking care of his things starts with him not losing the most important thing to be able to drive a car. Lesson for you. You should’ve never bought him a 98’ ML. The old ML’s are the biggest pieces of junk Mercedes has ever made. I’ve had an SL, CLK, 2 ML’s and my CLK 430 was the best car I’ve ever owned. My 2001 ML 430 was pure garbage. I bought a 2014 ML that was a year old and that was a pretty well made car but only kept it for a few years. Next time you buy your kid a first car get him a 4cyl Toyota or Honda as they are almost bulletproof. Old German cars are money pits and not made for kids. They are great for enthusiasts who like to tinker and waste money.
You are sounding just as you say.,.

This forum is not about knocking someone down lower then they already are. It is about lending a hand of advice to pull them up.

Sorry you had issues with yours, but had you joined when you owned your 2001 you may of had a better ML experience, as many of us current ML enthusiasts are having.

And a 2014 can not be compared to a w163.
His advice and opinion is spot on even though it comes off as quite crass.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
His advice and opinion is spot on even though it comes off as quite crass.
Opinion: every one has one.

Advice. There was none, it was a scolding. BananaBenz was not asking if she should make this purchase that ship sailed. She is asking how to get the Ml on the road again.

Advice: Best you put your ml up for sale since:

“The old ML’s are the biggest pieces of junk Mercedes has ever made.”

Suggestion: How about brain storming any ideas for her that have not been as of yet mentioned. But that is probably at a stand still till she reports back with more info.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
Thank you. At the risk of being a pain in the butt I called the manager of the service department. I just spoke to him. I told him this car is my son's world during Covid. It's his only joy. I said I've gotten some great tips from an online forum I've joined and would he ask his service guys to try them before we have the car being "towed" away?? He seemed more responsive and said he will try everything before letting the car get "donated". I said "No! my son needs every penny he can get for this car! Not donated. WTH"
This particular dealer gives free tows (and our insurance within 7 miles) but I have no place to garage this beauty for the right buyer.
Banana

I just had a thought pop into my head.
On earlier MLs , and since I don’t own a preface lift I do not have personal experience just what I have read and watched.

That said I have heard of cases where the AAM which sits under the fuse box needed to be pulled out and just reseated. Again maybe a jar during tow caused an issue?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
To all others here is an almost exact case of Bananas’s issues.

I have not finished reading it. Difference in this case the father knew he was buying a non start Ml for his son, the seller told him fuel pump.

·
3,691 Posts
wallyo,

To answer your Q on this issue here (ECU reset) -
We have no idea what the dealership indies have done or not not done. I would (thinking positively) imagine that they attempted this procedure already without success.

Reactions: wallyo

·
Equal Opportunity Offender
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,190 Posts
Opinion: every one has one.

Advice. There was none, it was a scolding. BananaBenz was not asking if she should make this purchase that ship sailed. She is asking how to get the Ml on the road again.

Advice: Best you put your ml up for sale since:

“The old ML’s are the biggest pieces of junk Mercedes has ever made.”

Suggestion: How about brain storming any ideas for her that have not been as of yet mentioned. But that is probably at a stand still till she reports back with more info.
She made the purchase.
He lost the key.
Everyone who knows anything knows what that means.
No need for me to pitch in. Looks like every available opinion and advice has been chipped in already.
And the old ML's are some of the biggest pieces of junk MB ever made. We can be offended with facts or listen to them. I owned a 99. I know. Best in this line-up were 2001-05 and there is an endless list of why.

One thing I think is conclusive here is the dealer screwed her.

·
Registered
1999 ML430; 1998 S420
267 Posts
She made the purchase.
He lost the key.
Everyone who knows anything knows what that means.
No need for me to pitch in. Looks like every available opinion and advice has been chipped in already.
And the old ML's are some of the biggest pieces of junk MB ever made. We can be offended with facts or listen to them. I owned a 99. I know. Best in this line-up were 2001-05 and there is an endless list of why.

One thing I think is conclusive here is the dealer screwed her.
My 1999 ML430 has 225,000 miles and nothing major has gone wrong. Other than vague generalizations, you provide no support as to why it's one of the worst pieces of junk ever made by Mercedes. I know from guys that worked at Mercedes back in the late 90's that surburban moms weren't happy with the quality (cup holders etc), so perhaps that's what you mean. There is a huge following for the W163 (just check the number of comments on Benzworld), as well as on the various Facebook groups. It simply wouldn't have the popularity it currently does if it was as bad as you say.

·
Registered
05 C55 AMG
85 Posts
Sad to hear this happened.
Dealer should take full responsibility in this situation. They must have of messed something up during the process of programming a new key.
Most Dealers are assholes anyways, so it's typical. You just have to fight them, tell them there's nothing wrong with your car, the immobilizer activates and shuts everything off.
Keep fighting with the Dealer and let us know how it goes. You paid them, and its their responsibility to have a working key for you.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,301 Posts
Maybe it's time to close the thread. OP hasn't posted back in a bit, and it's getting quite out of hand.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
Maybe it's time to close the thread. OP hasn't posted back in a bit, and it's getting quite out of hand.
I am hoping she chimes back in.
But feeling that as many of these situations go we may never hear of the outcome regardless of how it ends.

·
3,691 Posts
If another nonsense comment pops up.....

Just an observation
Members posting do need to (learn to) read a thread from start to finish, not do the short cut version of cliff notes.

In general, there are quite a few "incomplete threads (dead beat type)" across the board.
Perhaps that should be addressed too.

Wishing BananaBenz a more +ve outcome on their situation.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.