Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
If you want to give an used AAM a try let me know, I can see if my pick apart has one. You did make a good choice for your son. If you don't want to go amy further with it consider posting it on the Benz World For Sale another member might be interested. Sign up for triple A (some thing a single mom and young son should concider having, our plan give each 3 tows a year) have it towed home.

I was going to throw this out, your dealer does not sound like they do not have it together.. If you want to verify it is an key issue, order another valet key at a different dealer.for 47 bucks you will be sure the current dealer is correct. Or call mercedes tell them you have ordered a valet key that does not work and you would like another. I am just not trusting your current dealer at making a correct diagnois.

If thwe AAM it must of recieved damage when the tow company dropped the car, They get them on gently when you are there but when they drop them it is hard and fast.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,320 Posts
I am with Wally on this. Something seems fishy with what the dealer is reporting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
If you want to give an used AAM a try let me know, I can see if my pick apart has one. You did make a good choice for your son. If you don't want to go amy further with it consider posting it on the Benz World For Sale another member might be interested. Sign up for triple A (some thing a single mom and young son should concider having, our plan give each 3 tows a year) have it towed home.

I was going to throw this out, your dealer does not sound like they do not have it together.. If you want to verify it is an key issue, order another valet key at a different dealer.for 47 bucks you will be sure the current dealer is correct. Or call mercedes tell them you have ordered a valet key that does not work and you would like another. I am just not trusting your current dealer at making a correct diagnois.

If thwe AAM it must of recieved damage when the tow company dropped the car, They get them on gently when you are there but when they drop them it is hard and fast.
Thank you. At the risk of being a pain in the butt I called the manager of the service department. I just spoke to him. I told him this car is my son's world during Covid. It's his only joy. I said I've gotten some great tips from an online forum I've joined and would he ask his service guys to try them before we have the car being "towed" away?? He seemed more responsive and said he will try everything before letting the car get "donated". I said "No! my son needs every penny he can get for this car! Not donated. WTH"
This particular dealer gives free tows (and our insurance within 7 miles) but I have no place to garage this beauty for the right buyer.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
I would ask him (manager) to try ordering a replacement valet key (no cost to you). Because unless something (damage) happened during the tow there is no good reason for it not to start.

Did the dealer have to charge the battery or jump it? Keys in the ignition during either have been known to cause issue with the system. Another way the anti thief system could of been damaged.

Edit: Very easy to of gotten one number of the vin transposed incorrectly some where along the line!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please I beg for help. I bought my son a 1998 ML 320. It was/is his first and only car he will get. It was a smog nightmare that was more money than I paid for car here in CA. He had 1 ONE KEY and lost it. It's been at the dealer in Laguna Niguel for a week tomorrow, they said it's not the new key, but now the "car"... It starts up then stops. Our normal mechanic said it's putting itself in safety mode. But I'm calling mercedes tomorrow. Do you have ANY advice? I'm begging you from a single mom, please. Is there anyway to get this magic new key to work? Thank you.
not to sound like a total douche but hopefully this is a valuable lesson for both of you. For him leading the importance of his belongings and taking care of his things starts with him not losing the most important thing to be able to drive a car. Lesson for you. You should’ve never bought him a 98’ ML. The old ML’s are the biggest pieces of junk Mercedes has ever made. I’ve had an SL, CLK, 2 ML’s and my CLK 430 was the best car I’ve ever owned. My 2001 ML 430 was pure garbage. I bought a 2014 ML that was a year old and that was a pretty well made car but only kept it for a few years. Next time you buy your kid a first car get him a 4cyl Toyota or Honda as they are almost bulletproof. Old German cars are money pits and not made for kids. They are great for enthusiasts who like to tinker and waste money.

·
Registered
2011 Designo Mystic Blue CL550
3 Posts
I’m afraid the key and the challenges with the vehicle are purely coincidentally happening at the same time. That’s the only logical answer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If it is a key issue, Since you are the Verified owner, cant they reprogram the computer? Thats got to cost less then having them chase their tail

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
not to sound like a total douche but hopefully this is a valuable lesson for both of you. For him leading the importance of his belongings and taking care of his things starts with him not losing the most important thing to be able to drive a car. Lesson for you. You should’ve never bought him a 98’ ML. The old ML’s are the biggest pieces of junk Mercedes has ever made. I’ve had an SL, CLK, 2 ML’s and my CLK 430 was the best car I’ve ever owned. My 2001 ML 430 was pure garbage. I bought a 2014 ML that was a year old and that was a pretty well made car but only kept it for a few years. Next time you buy your kid a first car get him a 4cyl Toyota or Honda as they are almost bulletproof. Old German cars are money pits and not made for kids. They are great for enthusiasts who like to tinker and waste money.
You are sounding just as you say.,.

This forum is not about knocking someone down lower then they already are. It is about lending a hand of advice to pull them up.

Sorry you had issues with yours, but had you joined when you owned your 2001 you may of had a better ML experience, as many of us current ML enthusiasts are having.

And a 2014 can not be compared to a w163.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please I beg for help. I bought my son a 1998 ML 320. It was/is his first and only car he will get. It was a smog nightmare that was more money than I paid for car here in CA. He had 1 ONE KEY and lost it. It's been at the dealer in Laguna Niguel for a week tomorrow, they said it's not the new key, but now the "car"... It starts up then stops. Our normal mechanic said it's putting itself in safety mode. But I'm calling mercedes tomorrow. Do you have ANY advice? I'm begging you from a single mom, please. Is there anyway to get this magic new key to work? Thank you.
looks like dealer messed up. Key blade only turns lock Cylinders. It’s the small internal chip sensor that the ring around the lock reads to verify n start car.

·
Registered
1997 s500
21 Posts

so sorry! But found this clip (above) on youtube dont know if system is like in my w140 but i have a suspicion that the key # may be restricted and the dealer just either doesnt know how to or has no clue that they can go into Star Diagnostics (MB car program scanner) and Make sure that every key is reauthorized....
Perhaps the owner of the vid link may be able to help.....sorry again :(

·
Registered
W163 W202 W203 W246 MB100D
68 Posts
- its good that your last call seems to indicate they are willing to try a few other things (hopefully hes authentic and will actually get some techs to spend time on it - if they are willing to)

- I wouldn't throw a part or a new key in there unless they get data from the computer and pinpoint what the issue is

- the dealer's story is "AAM not working" - I would ask what this actually means again next time they bring this up
1. totally cannot read AAM module?
2. if it can be read, what does the live data readings say (based on this can they check key is authenticated)
or if not, inquire if its a key ordered issue, key slot enabled and not accidentally permanently disabled, ring issue, AAM (with integrated DAS on a 98) is not the original that came with car which means the new key will not work - assuming they can confirm this/look this up (?)
3. Unlikely but if security is not the issue (not key related) and it doesn't start because something else, there should be codes somewhere, it appears mb has a sensor/fault setting condition pretty much everywhere

btw, I think trying another AAM (with integrated DAS) will not work as key will surely not match the key ordered (?) update: unless it came with keys and and interlocked ECM

hope this and other posts above helps your issue and get a better outcome
lots of people here keen to understand (and learn) what went wrong and obviously get your 98 back on the road

good luck again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a company called Beckmann technologies in Raleigh NC that can track a new set of keys and reprogram most the DAS/ME to make it start and you’ll have more than one key and a possibility of more keys. 9193812700 try them. I had a 98 that had a key issue and had them do all of it. It was about $1700.00 at that time (2010 ish)

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
3,692 Posts
......... Old German cars are money pits and not made for kids. They are great for enthusiasts who like to tinker and waste money.
Not to digress off topic on BananaBenz's thread and topic.

'...and waste money' is a very broad and relative term. :)
Enthusiasts like to tinker and waste money ?? Really??

I wouldnt call it "waste money". I would say the opposite, "save $$"
Majorty of members here do not 'tinker'. I would say we "troubleshoot", because 'we can'.
Members here personally don't go out of my way to disassemble/tinker with their rides for the sake of it.
Perhaps you cannot DIY/ trouble shoot yourself. That's ok too.
Good Members are always here to help regardless of how $$$$ or not $ you ride is.

I'll inform my neighbors who still come over with their rides - some $$$, some not-so-$ - who need a "tinker-man's" opinion on their issue so it helps them "not waste" their money they may have to throw at, down the dealership or not-so-knowledgeable indie they don't know so well. ;)

Lots of good info on this BW w163 forum as well as all the others.

****As for the other new comments, please READ the entire thread to FULLY understand the present situation before commenting.

Enough of the advice/recommendations on BananaBenz spending more $$ under her present situation.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
Interesting how this thread brought out dead bit users and some new users with no clue how DAS (Driver Authorization System) works.

Not to be mistaken with DAS (Diagnostic Assistance System)

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
8,181 Posts
I don’t think something wrong with the key.
If the key will start the engine then dies it sounds like fuel problems fuel pump or fuel regulator
You have no clue. 😷

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,830 Posts
This has been stated earlier but I will restate it for those jumping in not reading all 3 pages.

Read the sticky:

·
3,692 Posts
Interesting how this thread brought out dead bit users and some new users with no clue how DAS (Driver Authorization System) works.

Not to be mistaken with DAS (Diagnostic Assistance System)

Post just above is a proof.
Agreed.

Removing all these nonsense postings that have nothing to do with a proper resolution.

Reactions: wallyo

·
3,692 Posts
There is a company called Beckmann technologies in Raleigh NC that can track a new set of keys and reprogram most the DAS/ME to make it start and you’ll have more than one key and a possibility of more keys. 9193812700 try them. I had a 98 that had a key issue and had them do all of it. It was about $1700.00 at that time (2010 ish)
The present day prices on their site =====> not unreasonable, considering there are plenty of R129s w140s out there using only valet keys. (And W163s, of course)
Thanks for the share Phillips. (y)

Reactions: wallyo

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,301 Posts
Shit, $1700.... my prices are too low then.

I need to charge more then.

·
3,692 Posts
Shit, $1700.... my prices are too low then.

I need to charge more then.
It's less than 1/2 that now according to the site info. :)

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.