Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks fellas but you are overthinking this. I am talking ONLY about the metal key that will ONLY open the DOOR. No chips or electronics of any kind. This is the slim little guy that is stored in the electronic key case that you use to start the car. By having a spare of this you can secure it to the bumper or wherever so you can at least gain access to the inside of the car where you can perhaps hide the electronic key or at least get out of the rain or snow until someone rescues you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Replacement Keys

I bought a UK 1994 SL500 with one IR key that didnt work I took it to Turkey were I spend a lot of time and it was only then that I found out about the NLA key problem.
I ended up buying 2 blank key fobs from Germany off Ebay for GBP 13 then luckily found a small ignition key expert locally in a little workshop.I was so surprised to find he had one of these computer cutting machines which scans your original key then cuts a copy.I asked him if he could repair my IR key and he spent an hour doing everything he could think of but he couldnt fix it saying it was a faulty processor which he didnt have in his huge spares cabinets. But at the end of the day I got 2 keys cut that work perfectly for 50 lira (GBP7) so very happy with the end result.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also had a key made today for my wife’s 1999 SL500 (R129). We have 1 working fob and 1 working master key — we didn’t really need another key for this car, but it was more to prove to ourselves that this locksmith could pull it off, as we just purchased another low mileage (35.5K miles) 1999 SL500 but it only has 1 key fob, which made us a little nervous. The locksmith was very confident about his ability, but did admit that it was more difficult than he had anticipated (said he had made keys for a few similar cars, but they likely were older or newer models). He did have to remove the ECM module (I believe that’s what it’s called) from behind the dash. But we came alway with an additional master type key — appears to be identical to the key in the video (same transponder blank). We’ll be taking the “new” SL500 in later this week to have 2 additional keys made (now that he’s fully trained, ha ha!). All kidding aside, we’re very relieved to know that it can be done — and done locally to us (Orange County, CA).

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
I also had a key made today for my wife’s 1999 SL500 (R129). We have 1 working fob and 1 working master key — we didn’t really need another key for this car, but it was more to prove to ourselves that this locksmith could pull it off, as we just purchased another low mileage (35.5K miles) 1999 SL500 but it only has 1 key fob, which made us a little nervous. The locksmith was very confident about his ability, but did admit that it was more difficult than he had anticipated (said he had made keys for a few similar cars, but they likely were older or newer models). He did have to remove the ECM module (I believe that’s what it’s called) from behind the dash. But we came alway with an additional master type key — appears to be identical to the key in the video (same transponder blank). We’ll be taking the “new” SL500 in later this week to have 2 additional keys made (now that he’s fully trained, ha ha!). All kidding aside, we’re very relieved to know that it can be done — and done locally to us (Orange County, CA).

What did he charge and perhaps post his contact info for So Cal locals. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the note -- will do once my wife gets back today from having a couple of keys made for her "new" 1999 SL500 (it only came with a single fob key when we purchased a few days ago). Just want to make sure that all goes well again. The locksmith was a little nervous about me quoting a price online after it took him longer than anticipated the other day. But perhaps today will take less time as he knows exactly what to expect (identical car) -- he mentioned the other day that he spent about an hour heading down the wrong path, so that time should be eliminated today. I will say that the price was in line with the $500 quoted by the gentleman in Colorado for a couple of keys. And a quick correction to my prior post -- it was the immobilizer that he had to remove (not the ECM). More to follow!

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Awesome , now we have California. Florida . Colorado . And others who have actually obtained keys from a locksmith that will start the car .

Hopefully once and for all this “you can’t get a key “ nonsense will stop

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
About this Discussion
68 Replies
22 Participants
Doohan
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing