Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 of one, half a dozen of the other (assuming your existing tie rod couplers are fine)?

Tie rods are faster and easier than messing around with replacing just the ends?

I deferred them in my latest order because AutohausAZ only had the ends.

No responders = "Son, you are lost in the minutia. Get them done and move on."

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,492 Posts
6 of one, half a dozen of the other (assuming your existing tie rod couplers are fine)?

Tie rods are faster and easier than messing around with replacing just the ends?

I deferred them in my latest order because AutohausAZ only had the ends.

No responders = "Son, you are lost in the minutia. Get them done and move on."
Is there a question is here somewhere?

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,314 Posts
Is there a question is here somewhere?
Yes. He is questioning his sanity. I don't have the answer.
As for the ends vs. the unit? If you can't get one do the other.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I'll paint the old rod middles to make them look new... if just buying the ends. Next round at AutohausAZ I guess. My sanity is lost. Learning a lot though. Thanks fellas.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Installers love the complete assemblies, particularly if they're working on book time. If you supply the bits and the installer is on a clock, you'll pay to assemble the rods.

If you're doing your own and the time is 'free'.....

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Well, you would think if one end was bad, the other one would be going...but I've only seen outer tie rod ends go bad so far.

·
29,492 Posts
Well, you would think if one end was bad, the other one would be going...but I've only seen outer tie rod ends go bad so far.
Same.

·
Outstanding Contributor
22,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was lost in the minutia. It never even crossed my mind that someone would only replace the outer rod ends. I guess here could be situations where the inners are hard to remove and just replacing the outers could save tie. Huhm.

Thanks for the insight. Now to just replace them.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
When I had my subframe done, I got the entire unit. I think the price difference was about $5.00 total between the units and the ends separately. Since the car had been in a front end accident, and there were some scrapes on one of the rods, I decided to go the whole boat.

Luckily, the dealership would install my parts when they did the subframe changeout. Mine was failing, there was a good crack in the drivers' side, lower arm, rear bracket, so the procedure was to change out the whole subframe. I think that me supplying the new parts may have made it easier for the mechanic, since he didn't have to hassle with preserving the old ones and transferring them.

I explained that I ws going to replace the motor mounts, subframe bushings, and control arm bushings myself, but after investigating the need for the super-heavy duty spring compressor, I decided to ask them if they would be able to do it with the subframe recall. They were happy to do it.

Scott

·
29,492 Posts
.... and control arm bushings myself, but after investigating the need for the super-heavy duty spring compressor
Well I proved this not to be the case. But an extra pair of hands was needed.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
I didn't have the extra set of hands available at short notice. I had an opportunity to get the whole thing done at once, so I jumped at it.

Just my experience & situation.

Scott

·
29,492 Posts
I had an opportunity to get the whole thing done at once, so I jumped at it.
I would have done the same.

Removing springs is not my idea of fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts