Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
03 cl500
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys, i am experiencing loss of power,very hesitant acceleration. I did put a spectre universal air intake on recently however this low acceleration was occuring b4. Could it b the mass airflow? Any suggestions,recommendations or thoughts on my 01 e430 w/140k..no malfunctions or eng lite...thnx:confused:

·
Registered
00 e430 sport
15 Posts
I would guess it is the MAF. Keep an eye for the check engine light. I am in the process of replacing my MAF sensor now because I was experiencing the same exact thing in my 00 430 sport. When I shifted into drive it had trouble accelerating. My check engine light would go in an out as well. I pulled the codes and that's what it was. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Seems like an MAF problem. The problem is that MAF may or may not through a code and thats when some experience is needed to detect. Make sure you buy Genuine Bosch or from the dealer. Process of changing / cleaning it is in the stickies and nicely explained. With your mileage, if not been changed, I won't bother with cleaning, just change it.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Read the codes. Just because you have no check engine or malfunctions does not mean there are no pending codes.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Mr. Musikmann is absolutely correct on reading the codes even with check engine light off. Sometimes I forget ... I was so tired today ... from activities yesterday. Old age kicking in ... :)

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
1st - put your stock air box back in with a fresh Mann air filter - that's a must amigo - if the intake is not clean enough - and that add on fals fr short - then you will awys mess up the much more expensive MAF element. If you want "better performance" then repalce air filter elements (alwats Mann) with every oil change.

2nd - Buy a $9 can of MAF cleaning spray, follow the stickies in the DIY section, and clean your current MAF. Don't shop cheapie MAF replacements, when you ever go to replace the MAF it's going to cost you $165-$189 (depending on the supply) for a genuine Bosch MAF from a reputable source most oft mentioned autohausaz.com

3rd - check the DIY stickies and replace your fuel filter with Bosch or Mann (like $35) and replace the MB trickster hose clamps with standard clamps.

4th - with fuel filter replaced then buy a $8 bottle of Stabil Marine formula (Blue) which is 2 doses and per instruction on the bottle dose your next fuel fill up

5th - pull a spark plug and check condition. the single electrode platinums are good to about 100K miles when that electrode will be burned down to like 40%. If you choose to replace plugs because it's time, then only use correct Bosche OE replacements , multi-trickster plugs are never any better and in most cases will be worst. There is another DIY - plugs will be like $80 and most invest in a swicle socket and a offset boot removal tool (both eBay) which makes the job much easier, as well as a $7 tube of dielectric grease.

6th - when it does get colder use the MF cleaner to cleanup your purge valve, also shown in a how to in the stickies

Keep the beat mate !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts