Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advanced for any help with this.

Car was running fine, then water pump goes out. Decided to spray engine with degreaser and hosed off. Never started car. Car sat for about 2 weeks while replacing pump and gasket for oil leak on timing cover.

Start car and have this new issue. Trouble starting and then idle was rough and loss of power. Replaced spark plugs, drive around block couple times, check plugs and from front of engine, plugs #2 &4 already have some black carbon look. #5 a little wet. #1,3,6 look clean.

When doing the timing gasket the distributor and rotor were removed , but all went back together nicely.

Ideas of what to try first.

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
I don't like cleaning engine with water blast,but ya got to some times.I really blasted mine! started it up right after and blew everything with my air compressor, did you cover the fuel distributor? did the Voltage Surge Protection Relay get wet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This pic have a clue?

Still fighting the hesitation and loss of power. Replaced plugs, wires, rotor and dist. cap.
Found this under air cleaner, not sure if is a clue of what is wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone identify this ???

Still working on rough idle, loss of power.

Ohms at coil and position indicator fine. Voltages at diagnostic socket fine. Starts fine now and can drive around town. Just power loss, idle issue like it is a timing issue. I did replace the timing chain gasket along with the water pump so I think I disturbed a vac line or sensor somewhere.

Not sure if module in pic is something to worry about.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Leaking EHA. Looks like from the body which means it's toast. Otherwise there are two gas rated, green O rings that seal it to the dist. Your throttle linkage bits look absolute dreadful. Clean that mess up and lube everything with a brush/syringe and ATF.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Just to cover this base, how hot did the engine get before you noticed the water pump needed to be changed? Another thing to isolate is whether or not the cold start injector is causing a rich condition due to leaking or an electrical issue keeping it on too long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It did get hot...

Had to drive with bad water pump short distance ( 1 mile) each day for 3 days. As temp gauge needle got close to pegging out, I pulled over to let cool. Eventually heater water return hose burst as I pulled into driveway on the last time I used car. Then started to replace parts.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Well, that bit of wisdom (driving the car hot) might have cost you a warped head. 1 mile, really? Couldn't you have walked the distance and spared the car?:rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is that spring connected correctly in the pic? Can't tell for sure, a bit blurry. Might check the linkage. Also the cable seems a little slack. Worth checking the adjustments since the condition indicates lack of attention for some time. Will involve the AT cable adjustment, too. Follow steps in FSM to checkthe and adjust. Agree the EHA is leaking. All will affect idle and driveability.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm also chasing down the same problem with my car. Is it possible for an EHA to leak out around the electrical pins? Mine had a brown greasy residue, only on the pins and plug. Everything around them is bone dry. nothing smelled like gas. I cleaned the EHA plug and pins with electrical component cleaner. and the car ran real well for about 10 minutes, then the cutting out problem returned. So far changed OVP, cap, rotor and plugs. fuel filter and o2 sensor are in transit, I'm thinking I need to get an EHA as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts