Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car drives awesome, but has been haunting me with this random 7-8 seconds of cranking for close to 2 years.

I am recently convinced this is due to a bad fuel pressure regulator or a leaking fuel injector. Every time car sits for a mere 10 minutes, the cranking will take 7 or 8 seconds before engine starts. It always starts though. Never any 2nd attempt. Car drives awesome right off.

Only 3 days ago I changed the fuel pump relay and starter relay. Car starts every time perfect. The sound of cranking is brisk and beautiful. This has however negated my fuel pressure leakage theory. If it leaks it just leaks all the time and cannot be such on and off. I am sure if I change one of these 2 relays again today - the same perfect start will return, albeit good for max 3 days.

What I am doing today is never turn key straight to pos 3, but sort of pausing at pos 2 for a few seconds before flipping key to pos 3 and in this way engine will start at only 1 or 2 cranks.

I trust the ghost must be hidden the electronics. This car runs just beautiful that's why I keep beating this subject to death, in hopes of finally removing this little gremlin.

I invite continuous opinion from some of your gurus.

·
Registered
2001 E240
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have discovered this thread...off
Long cranking before start - NSX Prime, which is an exact replicate of my 2-year-old problem.

Check your battery connections. Do you have factory connectors still? Or do you have one of those universal clamps on it? If you do, then it sounds like the corrosion INSIDE the cable is getting worse and worse.

My car takes 2-3 seconds of cranking to start about once every 25 starts or so. But it does start every time.

I am set to give this a try, but
1) what is universal clamps?
2) how to check the corrosion?...cutting off the heavy PVC sheathing?...sounds stupid.

From the same thread, quote "My friend said to keep in mind that my car has spent most of its live in a garage and now I am driving it every other day. Should I be worried?" unquote Where is the logic of this having to do with the intermittent long cranking?

Anybody can throw light on this?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
1) Universal clamps are ones that will fit most any battery/car. So obviously not OEM.

2) If you suspect this is the problem I would just replace the cables and clamps with all OEM. Then cut the insulation off the old cables and look for this corrosion.

I don't follow the logic of what the friend said either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts