Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 2002 C320, I normally do not have any problems with it. I live in a coastline area, however twice a month I need to drive for 1.5hrs coastline and then I have to drive for 50 minutes up hill through steep curvy terrain.

During my last two trips I lost power in the car while uphill, I.e. I would hit the gas pedal and nothing, after a few second the instrument board flashes on/off all together I stop the car, turn it off / on and all is back to normal.

First time it happened I did just turn off and on and it worked, second time I had to wait for a minute before it worked again.

There are no error codes/Check engine or other signs of something being wrong, if I do drive coastline for hours and hours nothing appears to be wrong.

I am terrified at the thought of someone trailing me and my car loosing power and this leading to an accident, I do not want however to start changing parts that are not part of the problem.

Any input please ?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
Does it seem to do it only when pointed uphill on an exceptionally steep incline, or just when driving in the hilly terrain? If only when pointed uphill, my guess is that you may have some bad wiring that is shorting out when at a steep angle like that. If it's not necessarily from it being on a steep incline, then it's probably heat related. Those long uphill drives put a huge strain on the engine and cooling system and they generate a lot of heat that can tax the electrical system (TCU, ECU, alternator, etc.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
It is mainly uphill but curvy, you go from coastline to 650 meters in 30 minutes, but with a lot of up/down smaller hills. I did check the engine temperature and it was fine when this happened. Not sure about the wiring though.
If it was temperature the car should not have started right away ? Same about shortcuts ?
Regards

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check the wires UNDER battery tray,..... also check for water there (or is there a waterline mark),... clogged drainage can cause water to flood lower part of that battery compartment,... weaken the wires,... report back.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
if it were temperature the temp gauge would climb. it is buffered (it won't move needle for slight changes in temp) but it will climb if you are anywhere close to overheating.

Hi
It is mainly uphill but curvy, you go from coastline to 650 meters in 30 minutes, but with a lot of up/down smaller hills. I did check the engine temperature and it was fine when this happened. Not sure about the wiring though.
If it was temperature the car should not have started right away ? Same about shortcuts ?
Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts