Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
02 SL500 w/Pano / 104k
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well my 02, like clockwork, 10 yrs old, has started to develop leaks from the cylinders.

I am confident that I can handle the 2 cylinders above the windscreen, however I am much less confident diving into the other 9 cylinders.

Ideally, I would like to do this repair myself with Top Hydraulic parts and a local fellow r129 owner that has done this before along for the ride and some remuneration.

Is anyone out there that would be willing to assist with this DIY.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
If the top cylinders are the only ones leaking I would only have them rebuilt for now. My top cylinders leaked after 10 years and the others are still good 4 years later so see what happens. The top ones are not that hard to do just do the search. After you replace them flush the system and refill with new MB fluid.

·
Registered
02 SL500 w/Pano / 104k
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's Plan B....ultimately I want to replace all 11 assuming I can find some assistance.
I plan on removing the 2 this weekend and sending them to Top Hydraulics.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
9 Posts
Possible solution

That's Plan B....ultimately I want to replace all 11 assuming I can find some assistance.
I plan on removing the 2 this weekend and sending them to Top Hydraulics.
Hi LaMike,

You are in luck.. I too was doing some research on the same subject because I know my 1990 is coming due for that and I was just getting ready to take it cross country and was worried about taking the top off and discovering the leaks..

Anyways, there is a guy on Craigslist that is selling the entire kit of quality seals and o-rings and I found it by typing in "500SL".. Here is the link to save you time.. Mercedes sl500 soft top hydraulic cylinder kit I just emailed him this week asking if he could put together a list of competent mechanics in the LA area that can tackle this job and follow the instructions and I think he is working on it but you can check and see what he has so far.. He does make it sound easy though and I might attepmt it myself in a few months..

- OC AJ

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport
33 Posts
I'd have to say stick with Klaus and Top Hydraulics. His rebuild is far superior compared to the other O-ring rebuild kits and he goes above and beyond with service and advice to many of the members here.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,122 Posts
Be careful when you do it yourself, as if you scratch the surface, your cylinders are no longer rebuildable.

·
Registered
02 SL500 w/Pano / 104k
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi LaMike,

You are in luck.. I too was doing some research on the same subject because I know my 1990 is coming due for that and I was just getting ready to take it cross country and was worried about taking the top off and discovering the leaks..

Anyways, there is a guy on Craigslist that is selling the entire kit of quality seals and o-rings and I found it by typing in "500SL".. Here is the link to save you time.. Mercedes sl500 soft top hydraulic cylinder kit I just emailed him this week asking if he could put together a list of competent mechanics in the LA area that can tackle this job and follow the instructions and I think he is working on it but you can check and see what he has so far.. He does make it sound easy though and I might attepmt it myself in a few months..

- OC AJ
AJ,

I've ordered the two front ones from Klaus and will tackle those this weekend. I'm sure this will boost my confidence in handling the others. I must say, he is very much into customer service. He emailed me to confirm that I want the cylinders with the locks (I am getting them sent before I remove so I can do it in one day) and to let me know my order was too late for today's shipping cutoff.

If I decide not to do the rest of them myself, I'll buy them from Klaus and have them installed.

Bet,

Mike

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Hi LaMike,

- OC AJ
You just found member Kbelow/ Konstantin, he is not posting any more. :(
I don't know why.
I met the guy he is to be trusted.

I haven't met Klaus, but he is my favored. :)

Regards,
aam.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I'd have to say stick with Klaus and Top Hydraulics. His rebuild is far superior compared to the other O-ring rebuild kits and he goes above and beyond with service and advice to many of the members here.
Yes, and he has been a BenzWorld Supporting Vendor. for two years.

Congratulations Klaus!

·
Registered
02 SL500 w/Pano / 104k
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the 2 front cylinders yesterday from Klaus and did the R&R on them. Took less than an hour. Only issue was that the 2nd time I cycled the top, as it came down it appeared that the top was too high the locks could grab the latches on the top. I pulled down gently on the top and the operation continued. Next time I ran cycled the top, it closed fine. I think there my be something out of alignment.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I pulled down gently on the top and the operation continued. Next time I ran cycled the top, it closed fine.
You did what the Owners Manual suggests if the top does not close completely. I think the new cylinders just needed to be primed with fluid. Everything should work properly from here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts