Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,321 Posts
Decent. Thanks. Maybe someone here will buy them.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
rowdie...will those wheels bolt right up on my 380SL....Were these originally chrome? They appear to still be chrome in the photo??? Trying to envision what they would look like painted a "color"., Do you need spacers to run them?

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,321 Posts
Straight bolt up with no spacers.. I think the pictures chromed are not current. He states they have been blasted and are ready for powder coat. Could also be painted.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
I was under the impression that a set of chrome wheels were basically done for....couldn't be blasted off for re-finishing?

·
R/C107 Moderator
32,321 Posts
Fonzi had a set of chrome LOs stripped. Don't know what the cost was.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you were interested in having them look OEM, just have them painted silver. Otherwise white, beige, bronze, etc would all look excellent in my opinion depending on the color of your car.

They're probably too heavy looking to paint body color, but that would certainly make them fit in with the era of our cars.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,544 Posts
Fonzi had a set of chrome LOs stripped. Don't know what the cost was.
Yeah. I have been told that blasting chrome off aluminum is not the way to go because the chrome (nickel) is tougher than aluminum and the aluminum will be beat to a pulp getting the nickel off. Supposedly, electrochemical stripping is the only way to go, basically the reverse of the chrome plating process. It is interesting the way the edges get so much more nickel because of the way the electricity is attracted/attracts particles at the most exposed points. This is why you rarely see pitting and flaking chrome at the edges of the lips, but often see it in flat and recessed areas.

The picture of these wheels stacked is from the ebay auction in SoCal probably about a year or so ago where I assume Karl bought these. Too bad he doesn't seem to be able to produce a picture of their current blasted condition.

Sorry. I am not trying to be a jerk, but it has been a while now that these wheels have been posted for sale with no pictures.

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
What wheels fit with what model anyway? I thought there was some kind of difference between stuff that fits on a 380 vs. 560?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,544 Posts
560sl (or any 1986+ i.e. gen2) r107 has larger protruding brake calipers in the front, and most wheels will not fit over them. It might be about time to Post a short thread on the few wheels known to fit over the gen2 calipers without spacers. Lorinser LO did make one, the 8x16 et22, which is different that the wheels being offered for sale here.

·
Registered
'87 560SL / '00 Celica GT-S / '92 Volvo 960 / '70 F-100
324 Posts
I'd like something like this, body color (code 199 / black pearl metalflake) in the center area, polished logo and edge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah. I have been told that blasting chrome off aluminum is not the way to go because the chrome (nickel) is tougher than aluminum and the aluminum will be beat to a pulp getting the nickel off. Supposedly, electrochemical stripping is the only way to go, basically the reverse of the chrome plating process. It is interesting the way the edges get so much more nickel because of the way the electricity is attracted/attracts particles at the most exposed points. This is why you rarely see pitting and flaking chrome at the edges of the lips, but often see it in flat and recessed areas.

The picture of these wheels stacked is from the ebay auction in SoCal probably about a year or so ago where I assume Karl bought these. Too bad he doesn't seem to be able to produce a picture of their current blasted condition.

Sorry. I am not trying to be a jerk, but it has been a while now that these wheels have been posted for sale with no pictures.
Sure your not......

Well I'm glad you know so much. So much you had to track down both threads and tried to take a dump in both......smooth.

Bet you didn't know the finish was so bad on these it was literally falling off did ya?

I will get your pics, wheels are at the same place I was storing my Tii which isn't close but if y'all wanna see bare metal wheels, that I can do!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts