Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I have been a member for some time to get advice but never did until now and would appreciate your expert advice and suggestions. I have C220 CDI 2002 model, and over a week a go I noticed that time to time the car would not speed up as it should do when accelerated from stationary or when i want to speed up when already in drive. it would gradually gain the speed if I keep increasing acceleration, it start loosing speed even at 70 mph and then again gain speed on acceleration. The worst part is when i have to go up the bridge or even going uphill the road with slightest gradiant of 10% it start to loose speed power and from 50 mph it would get to 20mph or less.
2 days a go a friend (knows little bit about cars) had a look at engine and spotted a problem. A pipe from engine (Please see the photo with circle, dont know what its called) had a roughly 2 inches cut and Oil had has been leaking and its sucking the air in and asked me to get it changed and will solve the problem. I got it changed with genuine part and it did make a difference but not for more than few hours. the main difference is up hill it would loose speed to 25 - 30 mph from 50mph.
Would any of you please let me know what maybe causing this problem as i know very little about cars and mechanics would rip me off with the cost of repairs but with your help i can save myself getting ripped off if i know what mechanic would need to do. Thanks

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
That is the Charge Air Pipe that is part of the turbocharger air intake system. There should be no oil there, but a cut or hole would certainly reduce performance. My guess it that your turbocharger is going bad.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
is the transmission downshifting when the car is struggling uphill? I would try manually downshifting when it is not making good power.

the turbo could be diagnosed by using a vacuum t and hose to attach a $20 boost gauge and run it into the cabin so you can see if it is making boost as it should. a mechanic shouldn't charge more than an hour work for that.

a hole in the charge air tube would reduce boost pressure and power (because turbo is blowing air out the hole instead of into the engine), and you'd be sucking in unfiltered and unmetered air (and possibly debris) into the engine when it is off boost. I'd think that would set off the check engine light. and it would not explain why replacing tube didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the info and advice. NO malfunction indicator engine light has come on. Today will take the car to mechanic and will update you guys. thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts