Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

just picked up a 1998 sl500.. so far its been great

i noticed the steering is pretty loose and i have slight vibration when the around dead center, and it firms up as you turn.. so when you are driving pretty much straight, the steering is loose.. i dont know if this is classified as play or if its normal

could the play/looseness be adjusted via the steering box? or could it be due to some worn out parts in the front end, or is it just normal? how about the slight vibration?

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Its not normal for it to be loose, It's going to take a little work to find out where the problem is. With the wheels headed straight,with the engine running,wiggle the steering wheel and see how much slop there is,Now, turn the wheel 1 turn either left or right,and re-check the slop. is it the same amount with the wheel turned? If its loose at both steering angles,you have either worn parts or the box is out of ajustment,If its ONLY loose when facing straight down the road, the box is WORN!!! It may ajusted,but be VERY CAREFUL not to get it to tight. The vibration will be the tires,Sounds like its time to for a garage visit!!!!!!!!!![:)]

·
Registered
1990 500SL White with blue interior
73 Posts
Hi Dave,

Steering play is a common problem with most mercs, expecailly when they are about 10 years old (100kms plus).

I just replaced the Idler Arm and one of the rear bushes. Used German aftermarket parts (available here in OZ) for about AU $250 (about US$190) plus $100 labour (friend). It's driving perfectly at the moment.

It was quite an inexpensive jobs for the great results.

·
Registered
1995 SL500
3 Posts
I have the same exact symptoms as Dave in my recently purchased '95. I'm bringing it to the mechanic Friday and now I am armed with a little more knowledge. Thanks.

·
BenzWorld Elite Member
2004 SL55, 2006 Range Rover Supercharged, 2013 Infiniti M37
312 Posts
Pepe in White Plains, Estate in Katonah, M/B in Greenwich???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts