Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1977 450SL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both driver and passenger interior door handles are quite loose on my 77 450SL, any tips or pointers on how to tighten? I assume I'll need to pull the interior door panel - any tips on this greatly appreciated as well!

Appreciate all the great help on my car thus far!
Tom

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,533 Posts
Loose handles

There are a couple of screws that need tightening.There are also adjustable wires running to the back of the door near the outside handle..You have to remove that metal surround to get the panel off anyway, so you may fix the problem without taking off the panel if it's just the screws. -its so long since I did it I can't remember.My car may be different because both my doors have the extended armrest with a pull handle and you need to loosen that to see behind where it attaches to the handle surround and the door..If you take the panel off, the lower clips just pull out and the upper ones lift upwards along the edge of the glass. it's a bit tricky because you also have to remove the large square chrome piece at the back of the door and slide some stiff plastic in to stop a spring getting loose.It's described in the manual.See a pic of my handle.(rt side)

Attachments

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts
Inside opening lever can be tightened loosening the pictured screws and moving the handle assembly forward. MB book says 1mm freeplay but I did not left any freeplay.

My driver handle casting was broken - I got spare from BW member very reasonble price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts