Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The car Just got painted. I wanted Steel Grey like this SL63 AMG.

What I got was this...

Looks like a grey with a blue green. The shop says it is the right color. I think their supplier made a big BOO BOO! I am going back to the shop this morning with the color swatch from the dealer. The color looks cool but I will have to paint the bumper side marker and maybe the rear spoiler if I keep it this way. The carbon fiber pillars look a little funny now, don't know if I should take them off or paint the pillars the same as the car. I think I might just push to get the color I really wanted.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Oh, ugh. That is a pretty color, but it's not as WOW! as the SL.

I agree with you about the other things to touch up if you keep it that way.

If you could live with the color, raise cain with them and your "fallback" might be getting a partial refund and them doing the other items for free. If you go the latter, pull the CF pillar covers and let them paint the original, that should last better. (Plus you can then give the CF ones to a deserving soul. :rolleyes: )

Good luck!

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea Greg. I just looked at the car and it looks really good, it grew on me. I kept looking at the picture on my phone and it doesn't do it justice. When its sunny I will take some good pics.

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
Hmm, I would have just bought the SL --- in my dreams. Whatever color you have, looks good. Your headlights would look better on my car though. Where did you get them and do they work correctly?

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i actually like your color more than the sl grey. maybe in sunlight or after a few days it will look closer to the grey of the sl. either way it will look better than before.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok lets start with ALLIKANBE. The headlights are Depot lights, bought from Ebay years ago with Audi Rs6 Bix projectors. The lights work great, with no problems. Tomorrow I will take headlights home to add ZKW lenses and clean the inside of the lights(clear plastic inside). The shop needs to do some finishing touches on the car.

Greg the pillars chipped on the corners. Don't know what the will look like when they pull them off. I don't know if you'll still want them. I am going to keep the pillars black. Paint the rear spoiler and the bumper side marker.

Next time there is an event I will bring the car by. Actually looks better in person.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the right color. I asked for some touch-up paint and saw the color code. It really looks good. In the pics it almost looks greenish. Live in person it is grey with a metallic or pearl blue in it. Finished product, even the bird likes it

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
803 Posts
Different paint companies will produce different tones and/or effects in the same code of paint. And sometimes when mixing paint, you dont get the exact same measurments everytime, that is why you always buy/make enough paint the first time when painting a car.

Yours looks good, but you cant expect a dead-on 100% replica when doing aftermarket paint work.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I got the right color. I asked for some touch-up paint and saw the color code. It really looks good. In the pics it almost looks greenish. Live in person it is grey with a metallic or pearl blue in it. Finished product, even the bird likes it.
:big laugh:

Nice; the birds like to seem mine just fine. :)

Glad it's working out and I like the colormatch grille, too. :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Paint Year!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts