Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E55
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a $300 2001 Audi A4 with a homemade 4" lift and 29" snow tires that I took to the Gambler 500 last year, and had a blast. This year I want to do something different, and pick up a salvaged W140 S500, and put HMMWV wheels and tires (37" tires) on it.
I am a Mechanical Engineer and know this will not be super easy, but I am trying to find the path of least resistance. Obviously it will require wheel spacers, wheel adapters, and tons of trimming only for the wheels.

The big issue is that the wheels are so much larger it will fry the transmission if we don't change the rear end gears. I was hoping to see if anyone could guide me to where I can find some replacement gears that are going to be a lot higher (high 4's into the 5's). We will probably also throw on an auxillary transmission cooler to aid with cooling.

If you have any advice on this project, please let me know, as I would be greatly appreciative and want to see this project through.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,019 Posts
My salvage title 1993 300se has a 3.69 rear end in it. It runs and drives. It has the simple rear suspension. What else would you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 E55
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To fit 37's. That's the whole goal of this project. Even with 3.69s they will do major internal damage to the driveline even on the freeway cruising.

·
Registered
2006 E55
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've seen that, but it's a standard frame swap. Not very genuine or fluid.
I want to keep the stock drive train for the most part and keep the car a Benz mostly.

·
1995 Mercedes S420, 1995 SL320, 2000 Land Rover Discovery II, 1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit
1,663 Posts
He's using the Mercedes V8 and transmission, but obviously made some serious modifications to the frame. I'm not sure if it was swapped or just grafted onto another frame. Either way, I don't know how you get humvee wheels onto a W140 without serious frame modifications.

Someone else took an SLK and put it on a G-Wagen drivetrain too, which was pretty cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts