Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 C36 AMG
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a reasonably priced 1996 or newer C36 AMG, if anyone knows of one for sale. Thanks for keeping an eye out.....much appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
John, why no interest in the '95? You do realize that the '96 is essentially identical, right? I don't care if you buy mine or not, but you shouldn't rule out 1 of the 3 years for the model unless you have a good reason.

·
Registered
96 C36
147 Posts
I never liked the 95's because the brake pads and rotor are insanely expensive becasue they are mix matched from other Mercedes. Also they have the square buttons in the center console, and the gauge cluster is specific to that year as the pulgs are different.
Also I believe there are some differences under the hood.
But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I never liked the 95's because the brake pads and rotor are insanely expensive becasue they are mix matched from other Mercedes. Also they have the square buttons in the center console, and the gauge cluster is specific to that year as the pulgs are different.
Lets not mix facts and opinion, because you're wrong on many points.

Yes, the OEM brake rotors are expensive, about $170 each. This is because they are directional with a different part number for left and right. If you can handle losing the directional fins (like the '96 and after) there are aftermarket rotors available starting for about $75. Also, you can find front pads starting at about $35 for a set, so they're just as cheap as any other car.

You are correct about the buttons, though it's nitpicking. I believe the '96 and after switches come in a pack, so you can't replace individual switches as you can in the '95. Not good if you only need one switch.

Is there a big demand for different gauge clusters? I don't see how that matters in any way.

I'd like to know specifically what changed under the hood, because I'm certain it's nothing major. C36 rated power did not change until '97 when it picked up about 10 HP and the 5 speed automatic.

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor, 2004 E55 AMG
89 Posts
I have a 1997 C36 White/Black with 2-tone AMG steering wheel. Burl Walnut wood trim, CD Changer, Heated seats, ALL stock with the exception to the tinted windows that the original owner did at the time of delivery. I am the second owner, I have ALL the keys, ALL the owners manuals, the orignal window sticker and purchase order. Car has 103k and is tight as a drum and runs tremendously. No accidents, no tears in the leather. carpets are very clean, never been in snow or ice. NO disappointments. I havent given much thought to selling it, but would take $8k for it. Just put brand new pads and rotors on it from Mercedes-Benz dealer, oil service and tire balance. Techs there offer to buy it all the time.. Let me know and I will get some pictures together.

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Mine is a 95' & it's sick amazing.
The brakes might be a little expensive, but my buddy that's a Aston Martin,
Bently, RR, Range Rover Mechanic, after taking my car for a spin, he was so
impressed. Hey, what do you expect! It's an AMG, not a Honda.
When-ever I want to remind myself what a wonderful car I own, I just take it out for
a boot (eye catcher) or just click on the link when I'm home on my computer.

Mercedes-Benz C36 AMG (W202) - World's Fastest Sedans

Good Luck on your purchase & when you do buy one 95',96',97'...???
You'll be a happy camper...........lol

Oh & another thing, my 1995 C36 is the only one in Toronto (Super-
Rare)....

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here a go john.. I couldn't for the life of me get them to attatch to an email... Figured I would try here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Wow, beautiful car........I've always loved white with tints....

·
Registered
89 Posts
THANKS! I love it! I wouldn't mind a C43 if I were to sell this.. I love the 202. super nice car, built like a tank! The C36 just seems to have been a builit proof car for me..

·
Registered
1999 mercedes benz c43
201 Posts
if you want a clean c43 check out my gallery at club202

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like a great car.. I'm just more into Factory insides... I don't mind the suspension and wheels.. Car LOOKS great. Just not into aftermarket stereos in these cars.. The right one will come along.

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
I've got mine on sale on mobile.de for 12,500 EUR. Maximum possible extras except ASR switch off, but instead of that owner in Japan has done ASR reprogramming (+TV, DVD, NAVI etc. systems installed). (05/1997) I'm sure that car is worth that money I ask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts