Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 1983 300D Tubo that appears to be in good shape. Has 174,000 miles on it, and, according to the owner, never given any problems.

When I go to test drive it and make a close up inspection - I have only seen pics, so far - what should I look for?

Things I know about:

AC does not work. (If it is the compressor, how much to replace it?)
Cruise does not hold at "lower speeds".

Do these engines have timing belts or timing chains? Are they easy to replace? Should I replace it if the last replacement mileage/time is unknown?

I ask about the timing belt/chain, because the VW diesels have belts that are pretty inexpensive and easy to replace, and all the VW Diesels guys say "if in doubt, replace it".

Any other things to look for?

Do I have to take it to a Mercedes Shop for a compression check, or can most "metric" shops do that for me?

What range of compression is "good", and at what point should I "avoid this pig like the plague"? [:)]

Interior is very good, paint is good, and owner says no rust at all, but, of course, I will check for that. Price is $3300.

Go for it or no?

THanks in advance for helping an MBD Newbie!![8D]

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
A/C Repair, Cruise control repair

The A/C repair can run you a minimum of $500. If the compressor is shot and the drier has to be replaced, you may as well go ahead and do the conversion to new ozone fiendly freon, another $200. The cruise control amplifier is $300 for the relay under the dash (that's a rebuild) and another $100 installation. I would offer $2,500. The engine should be okay. Check the service records to see when the oil changes were made and what kind of oil. Good Luck!
[:D]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed

But what about the Timing belt/chain question? I would really like to know about that.

Also, can you make "performance enhancements" to these, like you can to VW Diesels, by adjusting the injector pump to increase fueling. I realize that this can make them smoke more under acceleration, but I'd like to know what my options are.

And what about the possibility of 50/50 alcohol/water injection, AFTER the turbo? (Don't want to pit those turbine blades, ya know?)

I'll find out today, if I'm gonna get a shot at purchasing this Benz. It really looks nice and has those cool Benz alloy wheels: kinda sporty, yet classy! [:)]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.