Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
looking to purchase a pre owned 2016/17 c300 4matic and was wondering if anyone knows anything i should look out for? cost of ownership? mait. fees? Never owned a luxury car before mostly just hondas and toyotas. I really like the asthetics and have drove them prior but never owned? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2016 E400 Coupe
88 Posts
If you're coming from Honda and Toyota, I suggest you sit down before viewing the bill for your first regular service at your dealership. The cost to have any modern Mercedes-Benz serviced - and I'm talking about routine maintenance, like oil changes - is exorbitant. Maintenance is performed annually or at 10,000 miles, whichever comes first, and alternates between what they call "Service A" and "Service B". Service A is the (relatively) cheaper one, but both are ridiculously overpriced. An oil change on my previous car, a BMW e92, cost about $90 at my dealer. By contrast, my MB dealer charges $315 for Service A and $549 for Service B, and those discounted prices are valid only if you present a coupon from their website.

The reason the MB service is so expensive is because it's heavily padded with a bunch of absolute nonsense, like checking your horn, wipers, headlights, tire pressure, etc. (none of which they will actually do). If you ask them to perform only an oil/filter change, they will give you a price (about twice what BMW charged me), but then quickly inform you that they cannot reset the service indicator in your car unless the full "A" or "B" is performed.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,738 Posts
Are you willing to do your own maintenance? If so, there are several vendors-Autohaus AZ, FCP Euro, Pelican etc that can look at for prices of oil filters, air filters etc. Oil can usually sourced locally. Benzworld is an excellent source for DIY information. I would check the sub-forum specific for the chassis you are looking to purchase.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,344 Posts
Since when checking fluids and wipers at service is a bad thing?
MB is luxury and service at dealer is luxury.
That said, don't buy the 1st one without warranty.
I start buying Mercedes 20 years ago becouse they were cheaper to drive than Toyota and anything I owned before, but with modern technology, lot of technical gizmos call for high cost of ownership.

·
Registered
2016 E400 Coupe
88 Posts
Since when checking fluids and wipers at service is a bad thing?
MB is luxury and service at dealer is luxury.
I didn't say that checking fluids and wipers were a "bad thing". In fact, I never mentioned checking fluids at all. But I think it's ridiculous to pay hundreds of dollars to have the dealer (theoretically; mine didn't actually do any of it) check some of these things when the driver can simply turn on the wipers or lights at any time to see if they're working, or retrieve the tire pressure in the instrument cluster. How helpless are Mercedes drivers?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,344 Posts
I work in home construction while driving Mercedes, but then I work on $1-2 million dollar houses. You are dealing with quite different customers than in "blue collar" neighborhood.
So when somebody pays for new Mercedes, I don't expect him to save $200 for going to independent and sit of filthy chair. He will go to stealers for cappuccino and donuts.
Most of the members here drive cars who they bought for less than 30% of original price. Meaning we can be consider "bottom feeders" in MB ownership.
OP here plans to buy the car for well over 50% of its original price, so shouldn't he/she get celebrity status?

·
Registered
2016 E400 Coupe
88 Posts
OP here plans to buy the car for well over 50% of its original price, so shouldn't he/she get celebrity status?
Anyone who wants to pay those prices is free to do so, but that's not what the OP seemed to be suggesting. He asked, "anything i should look out for? cost of ownership? mait. fees? Never owned a luxury car before mostly just hondas and toyotas." Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but that doesn't sound to me like someone who's unconcerned about costs, and is looking to "get celebrity status".

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,668 Posts
Over here it's becoming quite well known that when MB have your car in they'll check and refill your washer fluid. This is added to the bill at approx £25 I think it was (!)
However, it being on the bill does not equate to them having done it, as evidenced by multiple people who took a picture of their washer reservoir and found it to be at exactly the same level despite the charge on the bill.

No wonder Lexus did so well eh...

·
Registered
2016 E400 Coupe
88 Posts
Over here it's becoming quite well known that when MB have your car in they'll check and refill your washer fluid. This is added to the bill at approx £25 I think it was (!)
However, it being on the bill does not equate to them having done it, as evidenced by multiple people who took a picture of their washer reservoir and found it to be at exactly the same level despite the charge on the bill.

No wonder Lexus did so well eh...
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I deliberately left my tires at incorrect pressures and left the washer reservoir level low when I dropped off my car for service, and although the service description indicated that all such things were checked and adjusted, none of them had actually changed when I picked it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts