Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'00 E55, '88 BMW 535I
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, so hello all.

I've been doing research into buying a '00 E55. I has 34K miles in mint condition has 3 years left on the Starmark extended warranty and the VMI is pretty clean. It's in absolutely mint condition. One issue though:

I test drove it tonight and felt a bit off with the fact that I had to depress the gas pedal a bit before there was a response. This shouldn't be normal right? I'm guessing this is a MAF problem (covered under warranty) but never had a MAF problem on my previous cars and have never driven a MB in my life. Could it just be that the throttle needs adjustment? If it's a problem that could be handled by the warranty then it's all cool, but I would appreciate any help the "Actual" owners could provide a potential owner

ohhhhh it's such a sweet car.

·
Registered
'01 E55
2 Posts
I'm new to the E55 ranks, but I believe the car has an adaptive transmission that learns your driving styles. Others please correct me if I'm wrong. As a side note, this past weekend I picked up a new to me '01 E55 and left my Audi A8 (slightly modified) and am still amazed every time I get behind the wheel the amazing engineering and smiles per mile this vehicle delivers. Please let me know if any events/gatherings will be held around the VIR outside Danville, VA.[:D]

·
Registered
'00 E55, '88 BMW 535I
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just seems like there is TOO much movement before there is a response, I can't imagine it should be like this. This isn't a "lag" or "hesitation" so maybe it's not a MAF issue. Is the E55 a "fly-by-wire" throttle? Then I could see it as potentially a position sensor that's out of wack. Otherwise it may be a throttle cable adjustment or spring that needs replacement.

My question is if it's normal to have this movement, and if not is the car fly-by-wire or not. I don't think this is a deal breaker as I'm pretty sure it's fixable and otherwise the car is in awsome shape.

·
Registered
'00 E55, '88 BMW 535I
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just with any other car I've ever driven, once you start depressing the accelerator pedal there is response, not after a 1/2 inch of travel.

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
That is a MB gas pedal, and you'll get used to it. The linkage is setup so that initial "tip in" is very gradual compared to say, a Honda or Nissan. These cars are usually setup so the response is very quick (helping to overcome the lack of torque and making the car "feel" quicker). If there are no codes, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agreed, the pedal feel/response is unique to MB, my S8 that I used to own felt more reponsive for the first half of pedal.

I changed my e55 MAF for pro active preventative measures and because of the pedal feel but after I put in the new MAF it was the same, the pedal feel is just a MB thing, you will grow to like the feel.

·
Registered
'00 E55, '88 BMW 535I
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses, I'm going for it. Hopefully I'll be taking ownership by friday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts