Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well so far ive decided i want a 2003 or newer and to def. get a sport package, im looking for black/ on black im here in so cal and dont think it will be to hard to find, any idea on what a good deal would be, im planning to spend around 50k, any advice on options, or certain problems i should look for? thanks in advance any advice is greatly appreciated!

-George

P.S. any other good S-Class forums?

·
Registered
S430
1 Posts
XBS,

You may be hard pressed to get a S500 in the low $50K range.

I purchased a 2000 S430 about six months back (I moved up from E class) and I have been very pleased with overall performance to date. Savings was about $5000 over the S500, which is identical to the S430; S500 has 27 more horsepower and 44 ft-lbs of torque. Your call.

You're in southern Cal, but if you venture into the mountains or where it's wet or slippery, the 4Matic on-demand system is something to consider. This became an option on the 2003, and I could certainly use it here in Canada in winter.

The airmatic suspension system is superb but very costly to repair if it fails after the warranty period. You may want to consider an extended warranty if you are planning to keep the car beyond the warranty.

6 CD player is a must.

HID if you like the look.

Integrated phone and voice command if you're doing business while driving.

"Soft-closing" doors is a nice to have. Rather than slamming the door, you close the door to the latch and an electric/pneumatic mechanism latches silently.

Getting a 'new' car is always an exciting time - good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a '03 S500(black on black), later upgraded to the 18" AMG wheels with Michelin 245x45z Pilot tires. Great look, better handling. My son in law has a "04 S430 they look similar but thats it. Besides engine difference, leather system is better in the 500. Mercedes "PreSafe system" saved our lives 3-23-05 from a rear end accident (Freightliner tractor trailer). The car is now on a reconstruct table in Minneapolis..."they say" it will be as good or better than new...we'll see. More to follow in subrigation with the insurance carrier for the trucker. If the car comes out great, and I trade it off I will take a "carfax" hit of 12 to 15,000 because the car had been in an accident. What to do! Any other car than a benz (S500)I feel and I wouldn't be here writing you. Enjoy safely your new benz which ever type you acquire. Andy "B" MN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts