Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever sold a post 90's G wagon to anyone in Canada? I would like to know what tarrifs and taxes are involved in a transaction of this nature. I am aware of the selling of Canadian truck to a USA buyer with the DOT problems, but was not sure if there would be huge hidden costs coming the oposite way... T.I.A.

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
280GE SWB Cabrio
33 Posts
What I know is you have to pay 21% in BC, the breakdown is 7%GST, 7.5% PST, 6.5% duty? And must be 15 years.

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
The G MUST BE more than 15 years old, otherwise forget it. Do a seach of gov't of Canada and you will find the information you require. There does not look to be any room for exceptions. There is a company in Ontatrio to handle vehicles that need to be "converted" but there is a list of vehicles that can be converted and I could not find the G as one of them. Sorry I don't have the links to the various pages, they are in my other computer to which only my soon to ex has access.[}:)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
this should answer any questions you need.
first step -call the R.I.V. and give them a VIN of a vehicle you are interested in.they will tell you right there and then if you can import it.
once you find yea or neh then find a broker to do the standard paperwork and you'll have no problems at customs.with a little work and planning this process was less painfull than a trip to the dentist.
cheers and happy hunting!
Alex

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
Not a G on the list provided by the RIV and if it were there, all the mods would have to be carried out by a Canadian MB dealer(yikes!!!). I would like to add that if the vehicle were older than 15 years it would be fairly simple to bring it across the border yourself rather than paying someone else. I imported 2 vehicles from Germany via the US and drove both vehicles home (Delta, BC at the time) from Tacoma WA. You have to produce a bill of sale, the shipping way bill and complete Form 2, should take 10 minutes if the folks at the border that day have done it before, otherwise it could take you a bit longer and you will have to be polite, firm and persistant as was the case with my first importation experience!!.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
phat alex - 3/21/2005 8:43 PM

here is my G that the RIV said "yes" to import to Canada from the U.S.
like it?
Year and model?

·
Registered
230ge
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That certainly is a great looking truck and an interesting building behind it. So Alex, when you located the truck..and the price was negotiated in U.S. dollars ...then converted to Canadian.. then the taxes and the additional duty, and conversion modifications to meet Canadian standards.. How did it compare to buying one in Canada? I realize you must have been motivated by something, especially since it is 2004.

My interest is in a 1990 to 1999 5 door as a daily driver for my family. Those years seem much more common, if not only in the USA. Forgive my prying, but I am hoping it was a great deal.

Cheers

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
phat alex - 3/21/2005 9:06 PM

2004 G55
A North American spec'd vehicle; so that should not be any problem to import either way across the US-Canadian border.

It's the not NA spec'd vehicles where the questions (and problems) arise.

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
phat alex - 3/19/2005 10:06 PM

2004 G55
A 2004 is a no brainer, as Dutch said it is already a NA spec'd vehicle. If you read the original question carefully, it was a 1990's vehicle that was being sought after. When did MB start importing into the USA? probably the same time as they did in Canada? Hence, the NA spec's.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
A 2004 is a no brainer, as Dutch said it is already a NA spec'd vehicle. If you read the original question carefully
Yes a no brainer.nothing to it!lol
first you inform Toronto230GE that there are no G's on the RIV list which is correct, however this is why I advised to supply the RIV with a VIN and go from there.If the RIV says no ,then forget it.It's not going to happen.

And yes.....I did read the question.TO G230 was asking if a post 90's G is admissable and since 2004 is post,I answered the question and gave him the first step to take care of.Just 'cause I'm a newbie doesn't mean that I can't read a question and give advice on something that was well researched and went without a hitch.The process is virtually the same for all G's.Mine will need only SRS and Gauge changes to spec out.If this makes it a no brainer then what takes brains?A couple of more spec changes?

·
Registered
35 Posts
That certainly is a great looking truck and an interesting building behind it. So Alex, when you located the truck..and the price was negotiated in U.S. dollars ...then converted to Canadian.. then the taxes and the additional duty, and conversion modifications to meet Canadian standards.. How did it compare to buying one in Canada? I realize you must have been motivated by something, especially since it is 2004.

My interest is in a 1990 to 1999 5 door as a daily driver for my family. Those years seem much more common, if not only in the USA. Forgive my prying, but I am hoping it was a great deal.
My reason was this.No 2004's in Canada and the only 2003 was in Quebec.Using the one in Quebec and one from a leasing Co. I established a bottom line price.This includes
G.S.T. 7 %(pay @ customs time of crossing)
P.S.T. 8 %(pay @ time of licensing in Province)On tax
Duty 6%
brokerage charges(if using)approx $500 Cad
RMD $15.00
Form 1 $15.00
Excise $100.00
Spec changes(approx $2000 Cad. for 2004 G)
Gas + flight + hotel $1000
E test and safety approx $100
This bottom line ended up being cheaper than the 2003.Not only that but I also got the phone(must purchase from Benz dealer about $500 refurbished.This was a very expensive option and it makes it fully loaded with Park assis,Harmon Kardon and multi contour seat.Way better deal than the deal in Quebec.It also helps when our dollar(Cad)is good,which really made the deal happen!
TO 230,I know it's not the truck you are looking for but I would be more than happy to help you out with any questions I can answer.

·
Registered
G500 (sold) GL450
26 Posts
I imported my 2003 G last month to Canada from teh US with no problems. Speedo needed to be replaced (for KPH) - $1000. Of course you have to pay 14% tax plus 6.1% duty. You need to get the saftey recall letter from MB US.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts