Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I come from the bmw world and stumbled across a beautiful merc 300d, he said he was open to trades so I thought I would give it a try and he is interested. I am torn because I do love my car, and I love this merc, but for two completely different reasons, so I still can't decide if I am willing to give up my car.

Here is the merc
Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series | eBay

Then my car is a 96 328is with 185k on the clock.

Is there anything I should know about the mercedes that would help me make a decision? Specific things to look for? And are these relativity easy to own cars or am I going to have projects every weekend? I am completely clueless when it comes to mercedes so any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
These are two completely different modes of transportation.

Check for rust yourself underneath.

The rear end is so much higher than the front, grotesquely so much higher.

Find out what that toggle switch on the center stack does.

Chrome wheel arches are rust holes waiting to happen, one has already.

The motor fires right up and runs well, except for a rough 10 seconds or so, that is uncommon. Glow plugs, $50 plus labor.

An oil leak is normal, you'll need to clean the engine and search for it/them.

Cluster lights are fixable.

Pour over those maintenance records. A new timing chain is due soon.

The HVAC system doesn't work, could be the unit itself (or the blower) needs attention. May be time consuming and perhaps pricey to fix.

Needs a side marker and some trim, at that price, hmmmmmm.

It doesn't get 30+ mpg.

You'll be working on it occasionally, but nothing serious.

Check for rust underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are two completely different modes of transportation.
I realized that, as I stated in my original post I love both these cars, but for completely different reasons, witch is a reason I am having a hard time deciding.

The motor fires right up and runs well, except for a rough 10 seconds or so, that is uncommon. Glow plugs, $50 plus labor.
That is very good information to know, thank you. I am pretty good at figuring things out, so although I have no experience with these cars I could do things like this myself no problem.

Pour over those maintenance records. A new timing chain is due soon.
Timing chain does not sound like a fun job at all. If there is no record of that being done that might be the deciding factor.

The HVAC system doesn't work, could be the unit itself (or the blower) needs attention. May be time consuming and perhaps pricey to fix.
Also a pretty serious problem for me being as it will become my dd and it is about 30 degrees out during the day. So I would have to figure that out very quickly.

Needs a side marker and some trim, at that price, hmmmmmm.

It doesn't get 30+ mpg.

You'll be working on it occasionally, but nothing serious.

Check for rust underneath.
I am not getting this car to save gas. But maybe I should be asking for money on top of his car if he is really interested. Thank you for some very helpful answers!

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I realized that, as I stated in my original post I love both these cars, but for completely different reasons, witch is a reason I am having a hard time deciding.

That is very good information to know, thank you. I am pretty good at figuring things out, so although I have no experience with these cars I could do things like this myself no problem.

Easy, checkhttp://www.dieselgiant.com/glowplugrepair.htm Be sure to use Bosch or Monark, stay away from Autolite.

Timing chain does not sound like a fun job at all. If there is no record of that being done that might be the deciding factor.

Not a deal breaker, but a price point factor.

Also a pretty serious problem for me being as it will become my dd and it is about 30 degrees out during the day. So I would have to figure that out very quickly.

The usual culprit is the ACC unit itself, remove it and inspect for cold solder joints. If you find some, you will I'm betting, reflow the solder, reinstall and enjoy the warmth.

I am not getting this car to save gas. But maybe I should be asking for money on top of his car if he is really interested. Thank you for some very helpful answers!

The mileage thing is just to point out the seller is lying about that. To be fair tho, my CD gets in the high 20's. Anyone that states such things, you need to be wary of.
You're welcome.

MB has their own way of doing things. the first 123 I bought was from a fella that flips cars. He's used to BMWs, he told me this was his first and last MB. A few months later, the front wheel bearing seized up costing me about a third of the price I paid for the car to repair.

Moral of the story, not all German car companies are the same.

Good luck and keep us posted. I enjoy (usually) working on mine.

There are times when it'll be parked while you wait on parts to arrive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Overall a W123 is one tough-*ass car but buy a nice clean example. These are cheap so there is no reason to buy a rusty, poorly maintained model. Personally, I'd never buy a 123 unless it had a manual transmission especially a non-turbocharged model as these cars are underpowered. I own an 82 240D with manual transmission. It is a rock solid reliable car that takes me from Maine to DC and back at least once a month. I've been doing this for three years and never had a breakdown. I do my own work and enjoy it. I recently rebuilt the front end and now I need a starter. Bottom line is these cars are starting to age so they will need attention no matter how tough they are. It is a very different beast from the Bimmer!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Don't do it. Instead, look for an inexpensive 300D--a pretty decent one can be had for under $3000. That will give you some experience with these cars. Then, if you decide you like the 300D better, you can always sell your BMW. I think you stand a pretty good chance of being disapointed if you do the trade.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally, I'd never buy a 123 unless it had a manual transmission especially a non-turbocharged model as these cars are underpowered.
Are these cars common to find with a manual trans? would only own a manual one because of personal preferance or because the automatics have problems? I feel like this is a luxury car and I should not be hassled with shifting while receiving road head because of all the bitches that would be all over me because diesels make them panties drop.
Don't do it. Instead, look for an inexpensive 300D--a pretty decent one can be had for under $3000. That will give you some experience with these cars. Then, if you decide you like the 300D better, you can always sell your BMW. I think you stand a pretty good chance of being disapointed if you do the trade.
This seems like a good choice. I think I am going to do this and will keep my eye out for a cheap one to have as a project. But warning, if I buy a cheap one of these it might end up flat black, straight piped, on bags, and rolling coal.
If you were going to buy a boat, would you get a ski boat or a sailboat? Nice BMW, by the way!
Well obviously a ski boat, I think a sailboat might have a bit of difficulty pulling me up on the slalom ski. And thank you very much!

Thank you everyone for your comments! It really helped me out!

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
MB only exported manual transmission cars here in a 240. The ones you may see have been "altered" or singly brought here.

The transmissions do have some issues at times.

·
Premium Member
5,924 Posts
Well obviously a ski boat, I think a sailboat might have a bit of difficulty pulling me up on the slalom ski.
And I didn't even know! Anyway, a 123 diesel is like a sailboat...it's more about the jouney than getting anywhere!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are these cars common to find with a manual trans? would only own a manual one because of personal preferance or because the automatics have problems? I feel like this is a luxury car and I should not be hassled with shifting while receiving road head because of all the bitches that would be all over me because diesels make them panties drop.
240Ds are fairly common in a manual. A 123 diesel is not a luxury car - more of a utilitarian vehicle really. Common as taxis in Europe back in the 80s and still used that way in certain African countries such as Morocco. The 300D Turbodiesel is a bit more luxurious but not really what I would consider a luxury car. No panties will be dropping over a 123, period. A bimmer, well thats a different story!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Let us know what you decide top do. I'd keep the BMW & buy a 3K car as well!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
240Ds are fairly common in a manual. A 123 diesel is not a luxury car - more of a utilitarian vehicle really. Common as taxis in Europe back in the 80s and still used that way in certain African countries such as Morocco.

Did not know that!

The 300D Turbodiesel is a bit more luxurious but not really what I would consider a luxury car. No panties will be dropping over a 123.

Too bad!:D

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If it's strong enough to be a Taxi, those things have a hard life, 7 passengers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts